Alienware m17x R4 7970m question

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware m17x R4 7970m question

• Hello,

I recently received my m17x R4, but was unable to find drivers for the 7970m GPU. I searched support.amd.com and even they don't have drivers for their own card. I am getting frustrated as the laptop is running solely on the HD4000 integrated graphics. Does anyone know where these drivers can be found? Also, shouldn't these laptops be shipped with drivers already installed?

Thank you all

-Joe  

• Your correct. The drivers should have been loaded from the factory. It almost sounds like the Factory image decompression didn't go well. Walk us through what you see on your windows desktop and the icons down by the time.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• What i see on the desktop when I switch to the dedicated GPU is typical of not having drivers applied (large icons due to lower resolution, fuzzy quality and alerts telling me that my hardware is not supported).

I want to say that other than having these issues I do love my alienware m17x. This is my first alienware purchase and other than these problems I am happy with the product.

For anyone else that is interested in the performance of the HD4000 integrated graphics; It's running BF3 on high settings (1920x1080) at an average of 50fps, so that's some kind of win! I can only imagine that with the 7970m that number will sore! 

• The driver is out in USA

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

X51/i7-3770GTX670 Phantom-The Shadowy Beast/ 8GB1600 MHz DDR3/ Intel SSD 160GB/ Momentus XT 500GB/Blu-Ray/Samsung Galaxy S3

• Dell AMD Radeon HD 7970M driver

beat me by 2 minutes!!

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• Thank you! I see this was released today, so I will keep this thread updated.

• @theholymoo

It seems the driver  from DELL is no available for download yet,  so if you wish you can try this driver below who also works

benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-8-97-18-april-7900-mod

X51/i7-3770GTX670 Phantom-The Shadowy Beast/ 8GB1600 MHz DDR3/ Intel SSD 160GB/ Momentus XT 500GB/Blu-Ray/Samsung Galaxy S3

• Thank you Chris, those drivers worked!

• @theholymoo

Did you download those drivers from Dell?  When i try it  it gives me access denied !!!

How is your M17R4? I am hesitating between that one or the M18 R2:)

Thanks

• Thanks gents for the driver link..

• The m17x is amazing, but if budget is not a concern for you I would wait for the m18x with crossfire 7970m's. That machine will be a beast!

I ran cinebench after the drivers were installed to run a basic openGL test on the GPU. The results surprised me with an average fps of 66.57 during load. That number is higher the the desktop 7850 card. No computer is future proof, but I am guessing that this machine will stay relevant for at least 3 years.

• One issue that I have come across is  an issue with artifacting on this card. I am assuming this is due to driver issues, but it seems to be occurring more times than not. 

I researched this card and found out that AMD does not support the M series cards with drivers, but each manufacturer does provide drivers for their particular card. I would imagine that Dell would provide updated drivers as their provider releases those, so hopefully this information make it to the correct people.

• @theholymoo

So your new M17 is not running properly?

Are you having any lags on game mod?  I was expecting this card to be top of top cards

Did you try this driver? >>>>  benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-8-97-18-april-7900-mod

• no lag issues, just artifacting (glitches on textures). The laptop is running quite well and I will check those drivers you posted.

• please do  and report because im about to pas my order and if AMD is not working well i prefaire to wait for Nvidia

cheers  and good luck!!