No Sound on X51

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

No Sound on X51

• Hi,

I just got a new X51 with a Dell monitor with it. The monitor is connected via a HDMI cable (because the monitor came with a VGA cable but there is no port in the X51 for a VGA cable - which is stupid!) and I can't get any sound to work?

There is sound through headphones when I plug those in but none without. I cannot figure out how to get sound despite searching forums and looking at drivers etc.

Anyone know how I can get sound? (Without using external speakers)

Thanks!

• Because the monitor came with a VGA cable but there is no port in the X51 for a VGA cable - which is stupid!
    * VGA is being phased out on newer hardware. I think the Sales page is pretty clear about what ports we do provide.?
    * Click here
    * Click the Tech Specs tab
    * Scroll down to Ports. No VGA is listed

* Click the ? right of Video Card
    * Click Compare Side by Side
    * Scroll down to GT 545 and GTX 555 to see what ports are on the those cards. No VGA is listed

Anyone know how I can get sound? (Without using external speakers)
    * The X51 does not have internal speakers so you must use external speakers or headphone. Does your monitor have a speaker attached to it? If yes, plug the speaker wire into the Green Line Out connector on the back of the X51. If you do not have speakers attached to the monitor, you must plug external speakers into the Green Line Out connector on the back of the X51.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• Thanks for the response.

I bought the X51 and Dell Monitor together in the package so I would expect them to come with a cable that allows them to be connected to each other without having to check. i.e if VGA isn't a port on the X51 then the monitor should come with a cable that allows the monitor and X51 to be connected (i.e a HDMI cable or other cable which can connect monitor to X51). Since they were being sold as a package! Luckily I had a spare HDMI cable so that's fine.

But anyway thanks for the response about the speakers, I need to get some external speakers.

Thanks