[SOLVED]Command Center for Windows XP?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

[SOLVED]Command Center for Windows XP?

• Hi. I'm trying to have a dual boot with Windows 7 and Windws XP Home. Is there a Command Center/AlienFX driver for the XP 32bit?

Model: Alienware Area-51 (A11) Command Center: 2.6.17.0, A05, Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Hard Drive: Samsung 470 256GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Memory: Kingston HyperX 12GB Triple-Channel 1600MHz DDR3, Graphic: Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB GDDR5, Optical Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner, Power Supply: 1KW Power Supply

• Hi there, you might find (it would be really hard) a version of AlienFX that might work under the 32bit environment. Other than that there is no way you can run Alienware Command Center under Windows XP x32. The only drivers for 32bit you can find would be the proprietary ones… Intel, Nvidia, Samsung. I won’t recommend any of this though, you would be playing with the AlienFX board; at it might get damaged if the wrong version is installed.

Alienware Lizano
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• Hat-Trick
    Is there a Command Center/AlienFX driver for the XP 32bit?

No, but the cpu pump and radiator fan should run while you are in there. Someone just asked about Linux ... same applies to you.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Thanks for the reply guys. My issue, if it really makes sense, is I can't open any games under XP. It looks like the games will run for a second or two but nothing comes up on the screen. It looks like games get triggered when I click the their exe's but nothing comes up. So I googled it and found this one guy, who has an Alienware as well, had the same issue. He couldn't get the games running under XP until he disconnected the alienfx card from the motherboard. Ok, all these just don't make sense to me but do you guys think that being unable to get the games from launching can be related to the alienfx card somehow???

That's the reason why I am/was trying to find Command Center drivers for XP hoping that it might work.

Model: Alienware Area-51 (A11) Command Center: 2.6.17.0, A05, Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.67GHz, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Hard Drive: Samsung 470 256GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Memory: Kingston HyperX 12GB Triple-Channel 1600MHz DDR3, Graphic: Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB GDDR5, Optical Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner, Power Supply: 1KW Power Supply

• By the way, the games I play have their own settings exe's so they are not built into the game. And even those settings exe's don't open...

• I think you are talking about this:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19365891/19825931.aspx#19825931

But this is under Win-7. If you think this is the problem, you can disconnect the MIO-Board from USB-1 on MB and accomplish the same thing. Command Center is not the problem (in fact, you don't even have to have it installed). It's more about specific game engines seeing the MIO-Board hardware as Game Controllers and the game gets locked up while trying to enumerate devices.

Frankly, I'm suprised you found Win32 (x86) drivers for everything else. If Windows did load a bundled driver, it likely just barely working. This might be causing the problems you are seeing. I doubt much hardware in your machine has been tested on (much less certified for) anything other that x64.

I also question the need to run Win-XP for gaming. I have yet to find a game (even old ones) that don't run as good or better under Win-7 (with the correct Compatiblity Settings on the startup icon). There are also more severe startup settings in Win-7 itself (limiting cores, memory, etc.). As long as the Windows game runs under Direct-X (the good ones have since Win98), you should be good under Win-7.

Win-XP is old, old. Microsoft has moved on. Between Win-7 for Direct-X gaming, and XP-Mode (Virtual Machine) for business apps ... everything should run from Win7-64 boot.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Tesla1856
    Win-XP is old, old. Microsoft has moved on. Between Win-7 for Direct-X gaming, and XP-Mode (Virtual Machine) for business apps ... everything should run from Win7-64 boot.

I can't agree more! Geeked

Alienware Lizano
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

• I know. I really like Windows 7 as well, that's why I was going to dual boot. The games I still play are kind of old from 2005 :)

The drivers worked from Intel, Realtek, Nvidia and etc. with the XP installed on my Alienware. I was surprised it actually works, of course until, I decided to run the games.

Thank you for the link. It makes more sense now. But how come those games work just fine n Windows 7 on my machine but not XP then? I mean if the problem was the MIO board, wouldn't it give the same issue under Windows 7 too?

• Hat-Trick

But how come those games work just fine n Windows 7 on my machine but not XP then? I mean if the problem was the MIO board, wouldn't it give the same issue under Windows 7 too?

Right ... Likely because it's not the MIO-Board at all. You can disconnect it if you think it's a problem, but you will likely find it's not the problem. Re-read my post ... I added a sentence about x86 vs x64. Just because the drivers load (Device Manger is clean of errors), doesn't mean it will work. You end up with old XP 32bit Windows running on hardware that it was never intended to run on.

Games from 2005 (XP days) should have no trouble on Win7-64. And like you said ... they work on Win7 ... so what it the objective to running XP? 

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• You are right, the games play just fine. The problem is the little program that I add to the game which is not 100% compatible with W7 because it's made for the XP. I just want it to work without any problems so that's why I wanted XP.

Anyway, I installed XP back last night and thank you very much with your method, games started to work now. Very happy :)

Now it's time to install W7 on the other HD.

Again, thank you very much for the help, I'm glad I came here and asked. This is why I love forums.

Have a good one guys.

• i hope someone  can help me out..

i bought a alienware area 51 m15x  and i needed to restore it so i did a clean restore of windows 7 on it and now i cant find a single driver for it no video card drivers no bios nothing and i cant find the command center app as well if someone can help me find these things or maybe pm me or email me the files that would be greatly appreciated

i have been looking for days now and cant find a single forum that has a link to a download and when i do the link is dead