My Modded Aurora R3

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

My Modded Aurora R3

• Hey everyone. Dont spend all too much time here, but wanted to share my project. I am happy to report that my Aurora R3 is now a Aurora Maximus Gene-Z/Gen3 Smile Part one of my project began with a motherboard swap to go along with my HD 7970's in Xfire.

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Next on the list was to mod my side panel and install a window. I know this has been done before but I still wanted to share. I have three tinted Acrylics on order now so i'll be able to change out the look as I please. Sorry the picture quality isnt the best, these were snapped with my phone in bad lighting.

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Uploaded with
    ImageShack.us

Let me know what you all think so far! I have more to the project but am waiting on delivery. Next on the list is installing an OCZ 1250W PSU and doing a complete rewire to get rid of the mess of wires from under my GPU.

I will update as I have more.

Cheers!

:: Alienware Aurora Stealth Black :: OCZ ZX 1250W PSU :: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3  :: Intel i7 3770K :: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 680 SLI :: 8GB Ripjaws X 1866 :: Samsung S23A750D ::

• Man that looks sweet! Great job

• awesome bro

• i miss having desktops...

Check out my youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcticGamez?feature=mhee

Alienware M14x

intel core i5 2.40Ghz

8GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz

Nvidia Geforce GT 555m 1.5GB

windows 7 64bit home

• looks awesome! how are the temps on the card being that they are so close?  Those things are beast!!!!

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

• PSU is here! Not sure when I will be tackling this project, but hopefully it will be this weekend.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:: Alienware Aurora Stealth Black :: OCZ ZX 1250W PSU :: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3  :: Intel i7 3770K :: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 680 SLI :: 8GB Ripjaws X 1866 :: Samsung S23A750D ::

• Did you have to switch any wires around for the MIO board to work so you can keep the FX lighting/command center?

Alienware Aurora R3 Stealth Black :: Intel i7 2600K - 4.1GHz - OC :: 875W PSU :: ATI/AMD Radeon 6870 HD :: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600 G.Skill Rip Jaw CL8-8-8-24 :: Alienware OptXTAW2310 3D monitor 23" :: 2TB Raid-0 :: Logitech G700 Mouse :: Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard ::Asus Maximus V GENE  :: Windows 7  Ultimate SP1 64-bit :: Optical Drive - PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24ABS :: 

• That's really impressive.

Just wondering, did you manage to keep the light effects working after swaping the mobo? Did you had to configure anything or it just plug and play?

And I am really eager to see how you manage to change the psu. That's something i'd like to do to mine.

• @ Shawnm74 & Arandir83

The board was pug and play for the most part.

I had to buy one of these,

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

because if you look at the ASUS' front panel connector (bottom right hand corner with the colorful pins on stock board), its a bit different than the setup on other boards like the alienware and EVGA board where the PWR SW, PLED, HDD LED, etc are all next to each other. That cable allows you to split them so you can connect them on the ASUS board. Other than than that it was plug and play.

My lights are working, however I am limited only to blue lighting ATM. For some reason Command Center will not load to this board. I know others have had no problems with other boards, but I am met with an error saying it is "not compatible with my platform". Im hoping to get this sorted out soon though.

Ill update when the PSU is installed.  

• UPDATE!!! COMMAND CENTER AND FX ARE WORKING!!!!!

Found this thread: en.community.dell.com/.../19375183.aspx

Downloaded this: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

And all is well  Yes Cool

• Whoa...I was looking to this same thing on my Aurora, but my situation is a little different. I have an 1366 board, but want to move up to the Asus Gene (or R3 Alienware) board you moved to. However, the problem I have is the I/O plate is different and the front I/O panel has USB 2.0 ports not 3.0. Too bad Dell won't sell the R3 I/O parts to me.

This looks to be an excellent upgrade, good work!

• Ill sell you mine, shoot me a pm. I have a new I/O plate for the Asus board installed anyway.

• Will do on the PM, but I just thought about another route. If I go with the Gene board, that would resolve the I/O shield problem but I would like to have an USB 3.0 port up top. The R2 I/O panel only has USB 2.0 ports, so that wouldn't work with a 3.0 correct?

I really started thinking about dumping the Alienware, and build a system but this is a cheaper alternative. I wanted the use of SATA 6.0 and USB 3.0, and this does it.

• Yes that is correct about the R2 panel only having the 2.0 ports as far as I know.  I have my R3 board i'd be willing to sell as well with the USB 3.0, but that would require a CPU upgrade as well as its a 1155 socket.  

• Good stuff, I already bought a i7 2600K processor and 16GB Corsair vengeance memory....now I must make up my mind about a build or stay on the Alienware, look for a PM tonight. Thanks!