Forums

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M14x Volume Control with Function keys problem

• I've recently purchased a M14x and I'm loving it, however, a week ago my Fn+F8/F9 keys did not change the volume as before. Normally when you press Fn+F8 it lowers the volume by 10% and the OSD shows the volume display, and Fn+F9 increases it by 10%. Now, it only increases and decreases by 2% and the OSD does not show the volume display. I was directed to, and have reinstalled the OSD multiple times and it is still the same. I was also told to reinstall my BIOS and this downgraded my BIOS from A06 to A05, so I decided to come to the forum for help.

• Try reinstalling the Alienware Command Center from our website to see if it corrects the issue.

Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• I downloaded that and it is version A002.6.8.0 and is asking me to uninstall my current one because it is more recent. My current command center says it is 2.6.14.0. So I have to downgrade my driver?

I did that to my BIOS and it is now A05 instead of the A06 my laptop was shipped with and I cannot find the upgrade anywhere.

• I've reinstalled the Command Center and it is still the same, the Fn+F8/F9 keys just raise and lower the volume by 2% and the OSD does not show up.

•  

I have the same problem with the BIOS. 

I was restoring my new machine after installing an SSD I purchased from Dell a few months ago.

I installed the A05 Bios, and didn't realize I was installing over A06 until it was too late.  Now, I am not able to locate the A06 Bios online or on the CD which came with my system.

• So anybody has any idea what else it might be if not the OSD and the Command Center?

I had to uninstall the RealTek driver to install my Soundblaster X-Fi, would that have anything to do with it? I reinstalled the RealTek drivers and it still didn't work though.

• Anyone? ._.

• Is it just the volume? Or are all the Fn combinations not popping up; ie: Eject or screen brightness.

• Just the volume. All the others are popping up.

• I've the same problem. The Technical Service told me to reinstall the drivers from the site, but nothing. I try, but nothing happen. Then I call again and with remote desktop they try to change the situation. But nothing happen...

I don't understand.

• Unistall Alienware OSD and use windows 8 OSD. Everything works except the wifi pop up window with bluetooth options will not pop up Fn+F3 just enables or disables wireless transmissions.

• addzadi

Unistall Alienware OSD and use windows 8 OSD. Everything works except the wifi pop up window with bluetooth options will not pop up Fn+F3 just enables or disables wireless transmissions.

This sounds like a usable work-around. Just create a desktop shortcut to BlueTooth options. It's not like you need to get in there that often. Pairing happens at device.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Yes that is what I did in my machine and I am happy for now :)