M17x R3 gtx580M throttling. BIG PROBLEM

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

M17x R3 gtx580M throttling. BIG PROBLEM

• Anyone else have problems with the 580m throttling?

Laptop is on a cool rack with fans. Not overheating, everything that would cause "normal" throttling has been taken care of.

Been working on this problem for so many days and have spoken to support about the problem many times.  First couple times they just treated me like i was stupid and didnt know what i was talking about reloaded my drivers and made sure they were up to date. Checked to see if my power settings were set to performance and that the computer is infact using the 580m.  Guess what. I already did all that stuff. After the 6th call they are either getting sick of me or they are starting to see the problem and sent me a new AC adapter.  the AC for the m18x in hopes the extra juice would help.  No, it didnt.  Basically the the GPU throttles and cause major low FPS. Even in game menus, u can see the FPS go from 199 to 27 then back to 199 over and over.  In game... WOW its bad. turns out this a known issue and is a BIG discussion on the nvida forums.  So basically they have sold me a product with a known issue?? Come on guys really?  Anyone heard of a fix from alienware? There is a way to fix by flashing the bios on the nvdia forums but i dont feel like voiding my warranty.  Also ran PDC latencey and it suggests ther eis a problem with one of the drivers.  Oh yea, when i unplug the ac adapter the fps stops shooting up and down in the menu but i very well cant play and games w/o it hooked up.  Any other suggestions would be awesome.

• You need to contact tech support and tell them to send out a tech to replace your 580M with a new one with the correct VBIOS which is Version: 70.24.2B.00.06 Yes

Top Deck Tech Station HPTX / 3x Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE"  
    Silverstone 1500W
    EVGA X58 4-WAY SLI Classified
    6GB Super-Talent DDR3-2000 @ 2000MHz @ 7-7-7-21
    i7-980x @ 4.3GHz / Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    3x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked @ 895/2300
    2x Western Digital VelociRaptor HD's

• This is the best suggestion i have had from anyone yet! lol. Your right and i will ask that. Thank you. I didnt pay 3000 for a computer to trouble shoot. Have you had any problems like this?

• Glad I could help. I've had no issues. Smile

Silverstone 1500W

• If you're still having issues with the throttle I would do this... forum.notebookreview.com/.../616264-580m-throttling-fix.html

Silverstone 1500W

• Thanks for the input.

In my last phone call with support they have told me that i will be sending my M17xr3 back and they will be sending me an m18x.  I have been a little bit skeptical of it because it seems too good to be true.  I guess they have recognized how much trouble i have been having and decided to upgrade me for my trouble. Winning the customer back over i suppose, which they will if this one does not have any problems with the throttling.  I was assured that the m18x does not have these problems.  However, i do not undesrstand why it would not until you sent me this link.  All these customers having the problem have the m18x haha. errr... Idk we will see when it gets here and all its glory or all its problems. Its just the gtx580m in general.  Im crossing my fingers on this one.  Ill let you know how it goes in about 3 weeks when it gets here.... Yea, 3 weeks is how long it wll take.  I hopes its because they are testing the mess out of that thing for throttling. I dont want to spend another min wokring on this problem while having payed 3000 bucks for it.

• Well today my the m18x came in.  They finished bulding it yesterday and had to shipped over night to me.  All i can say is WOW... This is an amazing machine. I havent changed a thing from the factory. Right out of the box i loaded Heavendx11 and 3dmark06 to test it from factory.  My m17xr3 score was 690.  The m18x score is 1703! 3dmark06 is great too.  I have loaded crysis and everything on ultra... Runs like a dream. I dont see any fps throttling or hardly any fps drops. Same for BFBC2. Too bad i couldnt test out bf3.  I pre-ordered that mess and now the beta is gone and couldnt play cause the m17x.  As of now this machine is running like a dream.  Not sure if it has the new vibos in it, dont know where to check. But it has the old 290.03 or something driver in it. Not going to change it.  If it aint broken dont fix it.  I think alienware took speical care into building this one since i had so much trouble with the m17x.  Again as of now, its running GREAT and Dell really won me back with this! Great job guys. Too bad it took more the 10 calls to get the ball rolling.

• Cain, grats on your M18x, use it in good health. I almost returned my M17x and got the M18x but decided against it because the size of the machine. I will patiently wait for updated drivers for my M17x. BTW...I don't seem to have the same issues as you had since my 3DMark06 scores 20098 3DMarks and a Heaven Benchmark of 1604. The only issue that I have is that I could not even run BF3 because of my outdated 580M drivers!