IS alienware really worth it?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

IS alienware really worth it?

• well i want to buy an alienware m17x but i want to know if its worth it buying form alienware. ive seen alot of threads about how alienware laptops are always having problems and iv eherd that dell's customer service dosent help. so should i buy an alienware or go for a different laptop like asus?

• Alienware machines are good computers.  The reason it seems there is a lot of bad things compared to good things being said for example on this forum, is only people with problems usually need to seek help.  People with no issues are busy doing things on their computers with n need to post.  There was a thread started with people saying how they liked their machines, but again since there isn't really a need for people with no problems to come here and post it doesn't show.

Alienware Aurora-R3 :: Intel Core i5-2500K (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz :: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz :: Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Enabled Single 1.5GB DDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 :: 2TB ( 2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2 x 32MB Cache) :: Matte Stealth Black Alienware Aurora w/ 875W Multi-GPU Approved PSU :: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English

• Also if its any help i plan on getting it with a 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6990M, 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (4DIMMS), 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB Hybrid Solid State Drives), Killerâ„¢ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 3x3 MIMO for Gaming & Video.

• If you need to know how a company is viewed by its customers then web board forums can be misleading.

I suggest you call the Better Business Bureau and ask them to review with you this company, or any company you plan on doing busniess with. The BBB can give you a better answer to your question.

• I have owned several Dells over 10 years and now an Alienware, none have had any problems.  Depending on what you are looking for they can be overpriced, but a lot of times there is nothing with comparable hardware in the same price range so it is hard to say if it is too expensive or not.  Like the other posters have said if you search for info about a machine or company you are usually going to find more negatives than positives.  I have also noticed that it seems like a lot, not all just a lot, of people who have problems with Alienware are from outside of the US, the service and manufacture would all be done by companies outside the US then, which could be good or bad, but just something I have noticed.

• even with my boatloads of issues i had with my M17X i still and did purchase another dell system they run great when they run and so fourth but if you can buid .. it would be cheaper but wont have a alienware case but they can be had on fleabay :)

• VoidWarranty

well i want to buy an alienware m17x but i want to know if its worth it buying form alienware. ive seen alot of threads about how alienware laptops are always having problems and iv eherd that dell's customer service dosent help. so should i buy an alienware or go for a different laptop like asus?

" Worth It " means different things to people. I think it comes down to what you want and need. It may be worth it to me but not to you.

There are bad stories to be told,thats true but there are also good stories. Dell also has some bad people and some good people. I have run into both. Chris here on the forums is a good one. He is old school Dell. The phone tech support is a mixed bag. It depends on who you talk to.  I have had VERY good phone support people and I'v had a few I hope to never talk to again.

Dell makes fine systems. They may not be bleeding edge stuff but they are close and they have the full support of Dell behind them. What sells me on Dell is I know they will be here next week,month or year if I need them. I may need to fish for a good person but at the end of the day they will take care of you. Don't forget they are just people like you. Some are good and some are bad. Thats life. Keep in mind most people that post have an axe to grind. It is not that often you see the people that had a good time post.

Asus makes good products but they use Foxconn parts just like Dell and a dozen other makers. When shopping use the brand name more for support then the system specs. Call Asus tech support and get a feel for how they deal with things. Talk to the support tech. Ask him questions. Do the same with Dell. Call a tech support agent and have a good chat. They won't mind. Just like when you buy a new car you not only want to test drive it but you also want to take a walk through the service bay.

Don't forget that at the end of the day you will have 30days to kick the tires. If you truly don't like something send it back.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• No its not.

mines a $2000 paper wait atm the moment.

I could of spent half the amount, and got a laptop that worked.. I dont think its AW's fault, but rather nvidias and the optimus program...

• As far as laptops are concerned, I would say NO. Sure they look pretty but other than that I just cannot justify my M17x as being worth 5x the cost of a 17" Inspiron. Double yes, but not 5 times the price!

Mine runs ok other than the video quality. It has become clear to me that Dell will not address that under any circumstances so it's just my tough luck I chose to buy this machine.

Would I buy Dell again? Yes, but not Alienware.

Asus? I had a very bad experience with them so never again however, I'm sure there are loads of people that find their machines very good.

Bottom line (and this is purely a personal opinion)...
    If you want the best looking, all singing, all dancing machine, then Alienware is worth considering, but only if money is no object. If you want value for money, keep looking.

• Upgrades are typically overpriced, and can definitely take you out of the realm of "worth it" especially when comparing to similar models.  My m14x I got one upgrade that I thought was worth it, couldn't do myself and was reasonably priced, the higher res screen.  It ended up a few hundred more than an Asus that had slightly worse graphics and lower res screen.  I also assume but could be wrong that the larger size will allow for more airflow for cooling than the Asus, but that is hard to say for sure.  If I had upgraded the graphics, hdd, ram I could have easily spent twice as much and I doubt that I would have considered that "worth it".

• No, not even in the slightest way is it worth it to pay this much money for a product that breaks itself and can't be fixed by even their own tech support.

• well i guess im not gunna buy an alienware then, im not gunna risk spending alot of money on a product that'll break easly on its own.

• VoidWarranty
    well i guess im not gunna buy an alienware then, im not gunna risk spending alot of money on a product that'll break easly on its own.

You really should research more then the forums here, as I said earlier all you'll generally find on a support forum is negative replies.  I have several Dell machines and no issues with any of them not a single freezing or dead battery etc...  Up to you in the end run, but again look around don't just go off a single support forums word.

Alienware Aurora-R3 :: Intel Core i5-2500K (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz :: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz :: Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Enabled Single 1.5GB DDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 :: 2TB ( 2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2 x 32MB Cache) :: Matte Stealth Black Alienware Aurora w/ 875W Multi-GPU Approved PSU :: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English

• Ive been doing reserch. youtube, googled, and some on the forum. also a friend of mine owns an alienware and has had many problems with it latley.

• but still. i cant help but finding myself still wanting to buy one. from the looks to the tech specs. but ive herd more bad aout it than good.