Alien FX / Command center troubles

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alien FX / Command center troubles

• Back in January, I tried putting a new hard drive in my Alienware m15x laptop and installing Windows 7. After numerous failed attempts for various reasons, I sucessfully got 7 installed on the new hard drive, but was unable to install any of the necessary system components to get everything up and running like it was when I got the laptop. I'm going to try again at some point, but ever since then, my Alien FX controller has stopped working on my old Windows 7 on my old hard drive.

I saw a registry fix for it today on Dell's website; it sounded exactly like my problem. So, I ran the fix, and restarted my computer, but it didn't work. I figured maybe if i updated the Command Center, it might work. So I did that; and now, the whole thing is broken; every few minutes an error pops up saying AlienFusionController has stopped working, and I can't use the Command Center at all.

Fantastic.

Any ideas for how I can at least get the Command Center to work again (and preferably get Alien FX working again as well)?

• Hi there djwhatley,

Try the following

1. uninstall Command Center - may require a restart

2. unistall Alien FX

When reinstalling the software you remember to install the following first

.net 3.5 then .net 4.0

once this is installed feel free to reinstall the software

Hope this helps

INSERT COIN 1P

Nebula Red M11x -R3 i5 2nd Gen 2537m,  8gb G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-4GBSQ http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=144 , 750gb WD Scorpion Black 7200rpm WD7500BPKT

Level 2 Technical Support for rival Notebook manufacture

• No, nothing has changed. Granted, I didn't follow your instructions exactly; the .NET 3.5 installer didn't do anything, and the .NET 4.0 installer repaired my existing installation. But after reinstalling the command center, the same problems are occurring.

• Do a forum search for posts from Tesla1856. He is really good at getting the AlienFX stuff to work and has posts with instructions on it. This time though you will want to make sure you follow them exactly.

GL Big Smile

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• Well, apparently the Command Center problem was UAC preventing the program from using a very important DLL. Stupid, stupid...

I'm still having the AlienFX problem, and when it crashes at startup, it says the fault module is KERNELBASE.DLL. I've been looking into similar problems, and it seems like everyone proposes a different solution. But a lot of them point to file corruption, so I'm going to compare my version of the file to my friend's and see if they're different; perhaps mine got corrupted somehow.

The only thing that bothers me about that is that this problem occurred when I used a different hard drive (with a different installation of Windows 7). It wasn't working on the new installation, and when I went back to the old hard drive, it still wasn't working. I've been trying to find solutions that correspond with that, but so far, no luck.

• Personally I would turn off UAC permanently, if you haven't already done so. It was designed primarily to protect those with little to no computer knowledge from wrecking their PC's. You clearly have a fair amount of experience so UAC will serve more as a source of annoyance than of any real benefit.

Of course this won't solve your current AlienFX problem but it may prevent other ridiculously unnecessary issues from happening in the future.

• I ran the Alien FX Tester, and it reported that there was some problem with the Alien FX board. Everything I've done seems to point to hardware failure. That said, what should I do?

• MIO controller is dead. You need a new mother board.

If the laptop is still under warranty call Dell immediately. If it isn't, ouch!!

• I've had the laptop for about a year. Do you know where I can check up on that warranty?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Expired a few weeks ago... this is so unfair! I was just innocently upgrading my hard drive. It's not my fault if their hardware failed on me.

Well, thanks for the help.

• Try running Dell Diagnostics from outside of Windows. Sometimes you get lucky, and running diags on the MIO-Board (or circuit in this case since its a laptop) will release it from being locked up or in a loop.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I downloaded the Alienware Diagnostics tool and made a bootable USB and ran a lot of tests from that. Is that essentially the same?

• Yes, that is exactly the correct tool.

So, what did it say about the MIO-Board?

Also, do you have a spare computer to use while this laptop is being repaired? Are you open to dis-assembling it and getting down to the motherboard and/or running the machine without any of the plastic shell/covers on it? What is your skill level working inside computers? If low, do you know someone (friend or relative) that "works on computers"?

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• I actually didn't see anything about the MIO board. The closest thing I saw was System Board, and it passed all of those tests.

I do have another computer (I'm on my Asus tablet right now), and I have a good bit of experience with the insides of computers. If you can tell me what to do, I'm fine with going in there and doing it.

• We should backup a bit ...

First, you need to call phone support and see if they will help you since you are only a couple of weeks out of warranty. They might do a "good faith" repair. A new motherboard will get you going, but it will be expensive if you have to buy it yourself.

Also, if you paid by credit card ... check to make sure that your warranty wasn't actually doubled to 2 years.

I don't usually answer AW Laptop questions. They are too unique and I have never had one or worked on one. However, I am used to working on things I have never seen before, but it's not like I have it here in front of me. You will end up doing all the work ... I can only guide you.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Are you positive this AlienFX controller is in the Motherboard? I just replaced a motherboard in mine because it said the device couldn't be detected and it still says that. Unless this motherboard was also faulty. Anyways, if you happen to solve the problem please post it here. I hate using my Alienware laptop without all the lights on it. Not the same.