Alienware M17x Running slow

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M17x Running slow

• Hey guys! ok so we all chose to buy alienware for the power and style it brings and its been awesome since ive owned mine! now to the problems

Ok so i purchased the m17x to play games which it runs most great but some others it tends to chug or lag ive updated video cards and played around in ccc ive also downloaded a program to make sure silent mode is off and made sure that crossfire is on but games still tend to run sluggish

for example The witcher 2 is really stuttery on high graphics and it evan has trouble keeping up with medium ill post results from speccy to give you a better idea of what im working with, also Skyrim is being released on the 11/11/11 and im really looking forward to that although my main concern is ill have to buy it for xbox if my lappy continues to give me trouble, hopefully someone can help me here

Speccy results are

Operating System
        MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    CPU
        Intel Core i7  @ 2.13GHz    42 °C
        Clarksfield 45nm Technology
    RAM
        8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 701MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
        Alienware (CPU 1)
    Graphics
        Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1200@60Hz)
        ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
        ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Hard Drives
        977GB dell (RAID)
    Optical Drives
        HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA31N
    Audio
        IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

• Some general tips:

1) When some games run great and others don't, be sure the ones that are giving you problems are patched to the latest version.

2) The way Vista and 7 manage storage on the hard drive is to put the programs you run most often closer to the center of the hard drive's spindle, speeding up the read time, then programs run less often are put further out on the disk.  That really shouldn't create a noticeable drop in performance, but when combined with the way Windows Vista and 7 make decisions about caching files for performance, it means that a game I don't play for a year or more will run a bit choppier when I come back to it...then progressively get better.

3) Along those lines, make sure your hard drive is defragmented and still has plenty of space

4) You said you "upgraded your video cards".  Did you go from nVidia to ATI?  If so, you want to be sure any and all files related to the original video cards were wiped out when you uninstalled the drivers.

5) Try setting Vertical Sync for the applications giving you trouble.  Rendering more frames than your display is capable of showing makes benchmark stats look nice, but doesn't actually give you any added benefit in appearance. ;)

Maybe if you can give us some more specific examples someone will pop in with more advice.  For instance, *which* games run great and which don't?  Give us a few examples of each.  When you say 'chug or lag', in what way?  Network latency, frame-rate, tearing, etc.?  Any specific parts of the game or environments (e.g., "places with water", "when an explosion goes off", etc.)?

Alienware Area-51 ALX:  Intel Core i7 980X, 12GB (3x4) G.Skill RAM,  2 x nVidia GeForce 480s in SLI, 1.8TB RAID0 (WD Caviar Black@ SATAII/64MB cache) on 48" Toshiba REGZA 1080p screen.