ATI CCC

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

ATI CCC

• Hello all, I had this ALX for about 2 months. Since then I have not been able to keep CCC working. I have uninstalled, run driver sweep and restarted the computer and then reinstalled CCC. With fail windows reports CCC is unreponsive. I have tried this senerio multiple times, closing all programs that are open including Alien Control center, MSE, and anything that was open in the notification. Is anyone else having these issues? I did a quick search and found the sticky for "ATI HD-5xxx cards in desktop AW machines" and tried averything in this post with no luck. I am to the point of purchasing a Nvida 560Ti. Any help would be great, the 5970 is a great card but with CCC not working correctly I have not been playing any games.

Aurora ALX - Bios A11 - i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33GHz - 12 gigs PC3-10660 (1333 MHz) -  HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH30N - PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24AAS - ATI 5970 -Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module- Creative SB X-Fi - Hard Drive,1TB - Killer Xeno Network card - 875w Power Supply

M17X-R1 - Core 2 Duo @2.40GHz - 4 Gigs 1066MHz - DVDRWBD Bluray - Dual Nvidia GTX 260M 

• Are you downloading and saving the CCC to the desktop and then installing, or just running the CCC when prompted? It is best to save to desktop and then install.

Also make sure all anti virus programs are disabled before installing

• Yes I am downloading it to the desktop. All antivirus are stopped. I have installed alot of differnt graphics cards on many different computers (all have been Nvida though), first time with an ATI product.

Aurora ALX - Bios A11 - i7 CPU 975 @ 3.33GHz - 12 gigs PC3-10660 (1333 MHz) -  HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH30N - PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24AAS - ATI 5970 -Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module- Creative SB X-Fi - Hard Drive,1TB - Killer Xeno Network card - 875w Power Supply

M17X-R1 - Core 2 Duo @2.40GHz - 4 Gigs 1066MHz - DVDRWBD Bluray - Dual Nvidia GTX 260M 

• Sorry, Thanks for the response Trip A 737 Flyler

• I have had issues with the CCC as well and asked ATI tech support for help. They sent me a sequence of steps to take to insure a clean system before installing a newer version. It has worked for me.

This is what ATI sent me:

The following documents provided thorough un-install instructions for cases that may require a thorough un-install.  This document is a fairly lengthy because of the numerous screen shots provided. (the screen shots don't seem to download on this forum) 

In most cases a regular un-install and re-install will correct most problems; however should you wish to rule out a clean un-install the instructions have been provided below, Please read the entire document before proceeding,  if you are not experienced enough with these steps, please contact your system administator for assistance or seek knowledgable help.

These steps are provided at your own risk and user discretion is advise.

Un-installing
    Any pre-existing graphic drivers must be first uninstalled, to prevent any errors that may occur when installing the latest ATI Catalyst™ drivers.
    Note! The following instructions only apply if a graphics driver pre-exists on the system. This step can be skipped if the system currently has no legacy graphics drivers installed.

1. Click on the “Start” button
    2. Open the “Control Panel”
    3. Select “Programs and Features”
    4. Select “ATI Catalyst Install Manager”
    5. Click on “Change” 
    6. Click on “Next” when prompted for the “Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for ATI Catalyst™ Install Manager.” 
    7. Select "Express Uninstall All ATI Software"
    8. Follow the on-screen directions and restart the system when finished 
    9. Note! The Windows User Account Control (UAC) will prompt for “Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?” Click on “Yes” to continue with the uninstall process 
    10. To verify that the legacy graphics driver has been uninstalled, return to the "Uninstall or Change a Program" list and ensure that there is no ATI specific software listed
    11. If ATI specific software is still listed, remove any remaining ATI software components using the above process and restart the system when complete

Manual un-install

Once all of the remaining ATI entries have been removed from the Programs Un-install  list and the computer has been rebooted, the remaining registry entries, Program Files, Program Data, and AppData entries and will need to be removed.
    Not all entries will be listed these locations, however this is a step to double check to see if there are any ATI folders left in the system.
    To start check C: Program files (this may differ if you have labeled your main hard drive a different letter)
    Windows 64 bit users will need to also check c: Program Files x86 
    Look for any ATI folders or ATI Technologies and delete them.

Removing entries in the ProgramData folder
    This folder is hidden by default, and if you have not shown your hidden files and folders you will not be able to view this section of your hard drive.

To show your Hidden Files and Folders complete the following:
    Click on Organize followed by Folder and search options:

Click on View then select the option to Show hidden files and folders and drives.
    Apply the changes and Ok.  Once enabled navigate back to C: ProgramData and remove any ATI folders.

Clearing out ATI folders from the Users folder:
    Depending on how many users you have created in the operating system you may need to double check the Appdata folder for each user for any leftover ATI folders.  In this example GCC Win7-64 bit is a user that was created when setting up our test system.  You will have your own folder names.   
    Check the AppData folder followed by both Local and Roaming folders.

Removing Registry entries manually
    Click on Start, and in the Search field  type in’ regedit’ and click OK.  This will launch the Registry Editor. 
     Create a back up of the registry by clicking on File, then Export.  Choose a name for the file and save it on your desktop.  You have backed up your registry.  
     Click on the (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
     Click on the (+) next to Software
     Click on each folder that references ATI Technologies or ATI and press delete on the keyboard.  When prompted for confirmation, click Yes. 
     Click on the (-) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to collapse the list.
     Click on the (+) next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
     Click on the (+) next to Software.
     Click on each folder that references ATI Technologies or ATI and press delete on the keyboard.  When prompted for confirmation, click Yes.
     Close the Registry Editor.

The last step before re-installing the driver is it to clear the video card entry from Device manager. 
    To get there select Control Panel followed by System and Security and the Device manager.

Once the Device manager is open right click on the ATI Radeon/FirePro/GL entry and un-install the driver, you will need to delete the files from the system when prompted.   

Now that you've removed the existing ATI software you're ready to install the new drivers and software, please reboot when prompted and install all files in the order specified.

• Once you do all of the above, restart the computer. Windows will automatically load the drivers for the video cards you have installed. It will take a few minutes so be patient.

After that simply install the CCC that you saved on your desktop. Use custom install and install everything except the developers software tools.

• Thanks Trip A, will give this a shot.

• ok, that did not work, tried it 3 times

• JediWill71

ok, that did not work, tried it 3 times

If you want help, you are going to have to provide more info than that.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• cgi.ebay.com/.../270706916542

What do you guys think about the 460 Razor?

• Thanks Tesla, If you read the 5th post, you'll see what I tried.

• Hopefully you restarted the computer after uninstalling CCC and the again prior to reinstalling.

When CCC is installed or fails to install, there is always a report that lists what was successfully installed or failed to install correctly. The report appears I believe after you hit finish during the installation.

Access that report to find out what failed to install.

• I am thinking of also installing the ati drivers for my M17xr2. I did use them before but ran into a few problems. My understanding now is that if I just make sure I uninstall all of my video drivers then install the ati driver I should be fine. It is very frustrating that dell do not update their drivers.

Has anyone else used ati drivers for a m17xr2?

• Here is what failed:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 RedistributableFinal Status: Fail

Version of Item: 10.0.30319 Size: 9 Mbytes

I already have  Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable  Version 10.0.4219 and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable  Version 10.0.40219 Redistributable  Version 10.0.40219 installed on computer. So I have a newer version.  So should I uninstall the most current version and install version 10.0.30319 for the ATI install package?

• Meanderer, I also have an M17X (purchased Nov 2009) but I run the Nvida 260m. I have updated the drivers from the Nvida site with success. I am not sure on the ATI.