WLAN card doesn't work with Aurora ALX

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

WLAN card doesn't work with Aurora ALX

• I had my ALX for almost a year. I never got my internal WLAN card to work. It doesn't get a good signal. I have just been using a usb modem instead. Is it suppose to come with an external antenna? I think it is the model below but I'm not sure, I took a picture of it. Anybody else have any experience with this? 

2.4/5 GHz Wireless 1505 PCI Express Internal WLAN Half-Height Mini-Card for Select Dell Dimension9200C / Inspiron/ OptiPlex/ XPS/ Studio Desktops / Precision WorkStations

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=430-2768&baynote_bnrank=10&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

• lljayceell,

I found this in the parts listing for your PC model -
    RU297 Antenna Cable Kit (For DW1505 - TK208/GW073)

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• Thanks for the information Chris! I'll buy that antenna and try it out. 

• Look inside your Aurora and find it.

Look on your invoice and find the line item for it.

I didn't buy it, but I think there was a WiFi option. According to the Service Manual, it connects to the MIO-Board (similar to the BlueTooth board).

I think they made these available so that an Aurora could have built-in wireless, without using up a PCIe slot . Since it's miniATX, there aren't very many.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Mine came w/ the card that goes into a slot. The picture in my first post is my actual card.

I just bought Dell Wireless RU297 External Antenna from ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320691111730#ht_1174wt_905 . Couldn't find it on the dell site. 

I think when connected it will look like this ... http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=430-3270&baynote_bnrank=2&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch 

Hoping it will work after I connect the external antenna.  

I think they just never sent me an antenna to go with it. Mine was a refurb.  

Thanks for the reply. 

• Yes, that should work. Isn't eBay great?

Basically, you have been running it without an antenna.

That PCIe card appears to be an adapter ... that takes a laptop internal WiFi card and adapts it to a desktop PCIe slot and a place to connect external antenna. Those 2 grey wires likely go straight to the antenna port (on a laptop, the long antenna wires usually connect there, on those 2 terminals).

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.