Why no Blu-Ray on M14x?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Why no Blu-Ray on M14x?

• I was very close to ordering an M14x when I realized that, for some reason, a Blu-ray drive is neither a standard feature nor an optional extra. What gives? It seems like the absence of a Blu-Ray drive is the only thing keeping this from being a perfect system (for me at least). Why isn't BD an option? Seems like a shame, especially when other systems (including Dell's own Inspirpon 14R) offer a Blu-ray drive in a 14" system.

Please tell me that I either overlooked the "Blu-ray" option on the M14x web page, or that it *will* be offered as a configurable option sometime in the near future!

• I too am very much interested in the m14x.  It pretty much has all the things I want with the exception of the blu-ray.  I will no doubt get this laptop, but when it has the blu-ray option.  It has very little to do with how much "better" the movies are going to look but rather that now that I have begun buying exclusively blu-ray movies I want the flexibility of at least being able to watch them on my laptop.  It would be nice if they made the battery modular so one could swap out for another battery when the first one is depleted.  This would be good for trips.  I would imagine that the current design allows for better air flow so if this is the reasoning behind having no modular battery I could accept that. Between the sandy bridge micro architecture and the high end nvidia graphics card with optimus this is one sweet laptop.  With out the blu ray I'm very much disappointed however.

• yeah, wow, i too almost made a purchase when I realized it did come with a bluray....(face palm)....I went back to add that option and found that it wasn't available. Called cust service and got a goofy answer about surveys that where done which led alienware to belive that consumers would not want bluray on this model. Agent tried pretty hard to sell me on an xps15...Dell is really becoming a conflicted company. Come on....bluray, its the dvdrw of 5 years ago. All the top of the line laptops are available with one. Well except the m14x.

Why dell?