Alienware m15x Video Card not working?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware m15x Video Card not working?

This question is not answered

Hi,

Two days ago I was watching a video, but then after it finished I left my m15x idle for a very long time. When I came back it had a black screen, fans blowing at full throttle and totally non-responsive. I had to hold down the power button to restart it, after that I didn't do anything on it and then shut it down for the night.

Yesterday, played a few games on it but then my games started lagging every 10-20 seconds. The lag causes the game to freeze for 2-5seconds (cursor still responsive). Thought it was a random one off thing, switched the m15x off and went to bed.

Today, played a few games. Lags got better than yesterday, while I was at it I tested it and found that during the lags windows is still responsive. I noted a sudden drop in CPU usage each time. During/shortly (1-2secs) after these lags the sound coming out of the speakers would also be lagged.

After trying a few other things suddenly while on WoW, the game crashed and subsequently afterwards each time I went to the log-in screen the program would immediately crash.

Then I tried going on Starcraft 2, however the graphics of the log on screen showed 2 black streaks. After I logged in ignoring the streaks the screen blinks black and white. Had to force quit. Each time I did so I would get the message: "Display driver not responding and has recovered. NVIDIA windows kernel mode driver ver 259.64"

I tried updating the NVIDIA driver, after installing it has now been in a black screen for over 30mins. Fans blowing at full throttle, only left fan's air is hot (CPU?).

I've tried to explain this in the most detail. Would appreciate any sort of suggestions :O

Memory - 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
Video Card - 1.5GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M
Hard Drive - 500GB Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive
Microsoft Operating System - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7 740QM (1.73 Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

All Replies
  • -Update-

After leaving it in the black screen state for an hour I forced shut down via pressing the power button.

I decided to try out WoW again, it worked fine. So far (10mins) into the game- very smooth.

Even though it is fine now, I don't believe the problem has been solved.

• Further Update

Shortly after leaving the previous update, the game started the lagging symptoms. Would this be because of overheating of the graphics card?? But then how/why is it happening?

I noticed that if I let my m15x cool down the games would run without any graphics issue/lags.

More updates!

I found that the GPU/CPU temp while the lags occurs is at a fairly reasonable temperature. (Around 55 for CPU and 65 for GPU). I did a whole series of hardware check with the M15x resourceDVD. All tests passed.

I also noticed that by placing a cooling mat underneath the m15x would lessen the lags by a great deal! Would this suggest something do with the motherboard?

More and more updates,

This time I have turned down all the graphics and even ran the games with stealth mode ON. Even like that I am getting my max frame rate. However after sitting around I noticed that the game no longer freezes but the sound output would still regularly stutter.