How to enable SLI in Aurora R3 Desktop

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

How to enable SLI in Aurora R3 Desktop

• ordejc1,

The Aurora-R3 supports both AMD CrossFireX Eyefinity and Nvidia SLI.

Nvidia SLI (Scalable Link Interface) and can support up to three PCIe x16 graphics cards linked by SLI. Two or more Nvidia matched video cards must be installed and linked together with a SLI bridge before the SLI technology can be enabled. The video cards should be using their own power supply leads.

Enabling SLI Mode
    * Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel
    * In the Control Panel, double-click the Nvidia Control Panel icon
    * Under Select a Task, click the (+) next to 3D Settings
    * Click Set SLI configuration under 3D Settings
    * Click the Enable SLI technology button then click Apply

To verify that Nvidia SLI technology is enabled and working
    * From the Nvidia Control Panel navigation tree pane, under 3D Settings, select Set SLI configuration
    * From the menu bar, click 3D Settings, then click the drop-down menu item Show SLI Visual Indicators. Now a green bar will appear on screen

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Thanks Dell-Chris I have tried that and nothing there is no option to enable SLI in the Nvidia Control panel. background on my system when I bought/chose the components I chose a single GPU because I already had a GTX 460 but its from EVGA and yes they have the same spec's but the EVGA card is clocked a bit higher but that should be a problem right either way I do have a an SLI brigde and I do have the PSU 875W and I did update the driver's for the GPU'S can you help? System Spec's Windows 7 Ulitmate 64 bit Intel core i7 2600K 4.1 GHZ Thanks for your Help!!!!!
  • Go to Control Panel/Device Manager/Display Adapters and make sure you can see both cards.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• Yep they are there both of them
  •  

Go back into Device Manager and right click the cards. Select uninstall and then check the box that says delete software. Once done go into your program files and delete any Nvidia folders you find. Reboot and let windows reinstall the cards. Once done reboot again and install the Nvidia driver.

If that doesn't work then do it again but this time after you uninstall the card and driver from device manager you need to reboot in safe mode and run driver sweeper so everything is fully removed. Then boot back in normal mode and reinstall.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

__________________________________________________________________________________________

• ordejc1

I bought/chose the components I chose a single GPU because I already had a GTX 460 but its from EVGA and yes they have the same spec's but the EVGA card is clocked a bit higher but that should be a problem right either way

Sounds like the same problem as this user (see their first post in this thread) ...

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19374804/19860451.aspx#19860451

In GPU-Z , be sure both GPUs are identified exactly the same.

This is mainly written toward ATI, but you might find something helpful in it:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19359816/19801896.aspx#19801896

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Good morning all,

I am having a similar problem with my Aurora R3 desktop I recently bought. I ordered it with the upgraded PSU and a single GTX460 because I already had one at home.

I cannot seem to get the two cards working. For some reason it appears as though when I plug in the second card, and plug in the power to it, the card is not even able to be recognized in the device manager. I admittedly do not of course know all there is about these but I think I know enough to get the job done.

Do I have to somewhere turn on the second PCIE slot?

Thanks in advance everyone. I cant wait to get this cooking!

• NickB978

Good morning all,

I am having a similar problem with my Aurora R3 desktop I recently bought. I ordered it with the upgraded PSU and a single GTX460 because I already had one at home.

I cannot seem to get the two cards working. For some reason it appears as though when I plug in the second card, and plug in the power to it, the card is not even able to be recognized in the device manager. I admittedly do not of course know all there is about these but I think I know enough to get the job done.

Do I have to somewhere turn on the second PCIE slot?

Thanks in advance everyone. I cant wait to get this cooking!

Try each card in just the top slot to make sure both of them work. Then try just one card in the 2nd slot to make sure that PCI-E slot works. If everything checks out then stick them both back into the system and see what happens.

• Ok so now both cards are being recognized and both show up when i open the nvidia control panel and go to the set physx config. Now, how do I get them to operate in SLI? i did attach the bridge that Dell sent me but it didnt seem to do anything.

• You turn it on in the Nvidia control panel on the same page where the physx setting is.

• I have seen youtube videos and know what you are referencing however when i open the nvidia control panel, under 3D Settings, all I have for options is: Adjust image settings with preview, Manage 3D Settings, and Set PhysX configuration. Shouldnt there be another one for SLI?

Sorry to have to keep asking for assistance, just stumped.

• It should say Set SLI and PhysX if both cards are detected and working. Both cards are the same specs, right? Reinstall the Nvidia driver.

• Thank you. I think that was where I was going wrong. One GTX460 came with the R3 and the other I had purchased from BestBuy. I thought that since they were both a GTX460 they would work together but apparently not. The card that came with the R3 only had one plug for power while the bestbuy one had two.

I went to Bestbuy and bought another same GTX460 and now they work fine and are in SLI.

Now I have an extra GTX460 that came with my R3...

• This is a bit of a concern. It's the second time I've heard of someone saying that the GPU provided by Dell did not work in SLI/Crossfire when the second GPU is purchased in another store. I also read somewhere that the GPU's provided by Dell are "proprietary" and hence will not work in SLI/Crossfire if the second GPU is bought elsewhere even if it is the exact same model. Geez I hope it is not true because I also have an R3 with a Radeon 6950 and I was planning to Crossfire once I have enough cash to buy another GPU.