How to enable XMP

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

How to enable XMP

• Before I go and buy 1600 pc3 12800 memory I wanted to make sure I could enable XMP. But I do not see an option in the BIOS, is it automatically enabled? If anyone could help me that would be great.

Using A11 bios, I have a i7 920.

• BryanjF,

I cannot speak for non-tested retail memory. But, if you purchase our DDR3-1600 XMP memory, you can go into the Bios- Frequency/Voltage Control screen and change the XMP setting.

Call Spare Parts, 800-357-3355 option 4
    0TDWJ DIMM, 4GB, 1600MHz, 512x64, 8x240, XMP
    5DX3Y DIMM, 2GB, 1600MHz, 256X64, 8, 240, XMP
    R1HVP DIMM, 2GB, 1866MHz, 256X64, 8, 240, XMP

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    #iwork4Dell
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?
    Drivers
    Order Status

• Im not seeing any xmp setting in the freq/voltage. Is there something im missing? Worded differently?

• The other Aurora users will have to chime in but I think it only shows when the XMP is installed.

#iwork4Dell
    Drivers
    Order Status

• That would make sense, yes can someone confirm you have to have the memory installed first for the option to show?

• i just got CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1600C9 G  for some reason on my  bios it only shows the speed as  1333   and when i turn xmp on to get it to run as 1600  i  get a blue screen when i get  into windows   what can i do   i have  Alienware Aurora ALX  

• For PC3-12800 and PC3-15000 XMP memory, go into the Bios and turn off XMP. Then go into the Overvoltage Config and set QPI and Uncore voltage to +200mv. Leave everything else on default values.

#iwork4Dell
    Drivers
    Order Status

• i did that and now the  computer will start windows and run for alittle   then it  will give me the blue screen again

• I had this issue. To fix it do just like Chris said and set QPI and Uncore voltage to +200mv but don't turn on XMP. Instead you set the memory multiplier yourself. For my system I set it to 14 which gives me 1866. Leave the rest like the timings and memory volts on auto.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• thank you seems to be working  now