Intel recall, I7 Gen 2 chipset

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Intel recall, I7 Gen 2 chipset

• I just got the M17 r3 on Saturday.  Today I find out that the I7 Gen2 chipset is flawed and intel is recalling all of the motherboards.  How is Dell going to handle this recall?

SANTA CLARA, Calif., Jan. 31, 2011 – As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series (and the Intel® C200 Series Chipset), and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel’s latest Second Generation Intel Core processors.  Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

The company expects to begin delivering the updated version of the chipset to customers in late February and expects full volume recovery in April. Intel stands behind its products and is committed to product quality. For computer makers and other Intel customers that have bought potentially affected chipsets or systems, Intel will work with its OEM partners to accept the return of the affected chipsets, and plans to support modifications or replacements needed on motherboards or systems. The systems with the affected support chips have only been shipping since January 9th and the company believes that relatively few consumers are impacted by this issue. The only systems sold to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad core based systems.  Intel believes that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution.

• Thats an easy one...they wont. Watch and see. It will be cheaper for them to only replace systems that fail. If your sytsem is working they will not do anything. If it fails good luck proving it was a faulty chipset that was part of the recall.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• It's not a Dell problem, it's an Intel problem. Intel has already anounced a recall, so they're doing more than wait to see who's computer fails.  As someone who's i7 2600K Aurora is "in production", I'd like to know if Dell is going to hold my order until it gets the fix from Intel, or if they're going to ship my computer and leave me to deal with Intel. This was only announced yesterday, so I expect it will be a day or two until they decide.

• Most sites selling these computers have already pulled the units with sandY bridge. Dell should not ship anymore. The question is will Dell man up and pull the Auroras for almost a month until the problem is fixed? I think they will probably sell them anyways. I guess we will find out.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

• From toms-hardware news.  I don't know if the forum will accept url's so here's a quote:

Intel claims that only 5-percent of Sandy Bridge owners will experience the flaw. But speaking with manufacturers, we were told that numbers appear to be far greater than that. Some companies told us that this is definitely a "panic-mode" situation for them.

Looks like Intel is downplaying the problem.  I'm hoping that Dell won't fall for it.

• From Toms hardware.  I don't know if the forum will accept external URL linking so here's a quote:

Intel claims that only 5-percent of Sandy Bridge owners will experience the flaw. But speaking with manufacturers, we were told that numbers appear to be far greater than that. Some companies told us that this is definitely a "panic-mode" situation for them.

Intel may be downplaying the situation.  I hope Dell doesn't fall for it.

Sorry for the double post, my connection timed out...

• Yea I read 5-15% percent failure after 1-2+ years of use... right when the warranty runs out :X. Even if Dell listens to this downplayed scenario it is still a problem that requires these units be pulled off the market. If the problem is big or small the people deserve quality. Lets see what Dell does!

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

• Lionel on the Direct2Dell Blog will be posting the Dell response to this. No ETA on response.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• nevertaken

It's not a Dell problem, it's an Intel problem. Intel has already anounced a recall, so they're doing more than wait to see who's computer fails.  As someone who's i7 2600K Aurora is "in production", I'd like to know if Dell is going to hold my order until it gets the fix from Intel, or if they're going to ship my computer and leave me to deal with Intel. This was only announced yesterday, so I expect it will be a day or two until they decide.

This happened before and Dell did not replace the systems. Infact they waited for them to fail and then replaced them with the same defected parts. It was not a Dell problem before but this is how they handled it.

So when I say they won't I speak from past experience and how Dell handled it then. Of course when they did it that time Dell stock tanked and they dropped from the number one spot. Maybe they learned from that fiasco? yeah...right.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• Maybe it is time to return all the mx17r3's as they are still in the 21day return window...

• Just got off the phone with an Alienware Tech.  I questioned him about intel's recall on the series 6 chipset.  He told me that the M17x R3 is showing no problems.  I told him that the chipset maker "intel" found a design flaw in the chipset that will show up over time and is recalling and stopping manufacturing of the chipset.  He stated again that there was no problem with the intel series 6 chipset in the Alienware system.  I asked him to email me a copy of that statement.  Its been an hour since I called, and no email has been sent, was told it would be about 15mins for the email to be sent out.  I will wait till the end of the week for an official statement from Dell, before sending it back for a refund.  Friend of mine got the Toshiba laptop with the I7 gen2, and received a recall notice this morning.  Hope Dell, dosn't try to burn the consumer. 

Information:

Intel Chipset Design Issue

Effective January 31, 2011, Intel announced a design issue with the Intel 6 Series chipset. This Intel design issue affects a limited number of Toshiba laptops released for sale on or after January 9, 2011.

The following are the only Toshiba models affected by this issue:

Model Name Model Numbers
    Satellite A660 See note below
    Satellite A665 S5176, S5177, S5182, S5183, S5184, S5185, S5187, S5189, S6100
    Satellite A665 3D Edition 3DV10, 3DV11, 3DV12
    Satellite E305 S1990
    Satellite L655 S5161, S5161BN, S5161RD, S5161WH, S5162, S5166, S5166BN, S5166RD, S5166WH, S5167
    Satellite M645 S4116, S4118
    Portege R835 P50, P55, P56
    Qosmio X500 Q930
    Qosmio X505 Q8100, Q8102, Q8104
    Note: If you purchased a Satellite A660 from Toshiba Direct, with a Core i7 2630QM quad-core processor, you will be contacted directly by Toshiba.

Intel has announced that in some cases the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.

At this time, Toshiba requests you return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund. You should back up your data and remove any confidential, proprietary or personal information before returning the product.

Thank you for choosing Toshiba.

• The front line technicians will be the last to get the Dell response. When Lionel post it, I will send it up the chain.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• From what all the articles say ANY and ALL sandy bridge chipsets are affected. Once again the people on the phone are not kept updated or are just trying to make sales/ shut people up. From what I read if you have a sandy bridge you have the problem. I would send your units back, don't wait on Dell to misinform you.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

• Chris that's fine, and that is why I said I would wait till the end of the week for an official response from Dell.  II'l be upset if I spend hours loading software and transferring documents, pictures and so on from my old computer, just to find that I have to ship it back.  It seems worse than intel said, since all of the products with the series 6 chipset are being pulled.  But, intel did the right thing and is correcting the problem.  If Dells techs are not going to send an email, they shouldn't tell a customer they are sending one.  I'd rather be told no, then be mislead. 

Thanks  

• I have ordered a Alienware Aurora R3 on January 30, and spent an hour on the phone yesterday trying to get an answer, did not go any where except the fact I was assured my order will be on time! Tongue Tied and they do not know about the recall, and I am trying to relay to the guy on the phone that I am not concerned about the order being on time, all I care about is that I am not getting a defective product.

My order still shows in Production, I hope they would put it on hold for the time being till Dell has issued a statement and has this sorted out

I just accessed the Alienware under Dell Canada and Aurora R3 is not listed anymore