Alienware Aurora Power Supply Unit

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware Aurora Power Supply Unit

• Hi guys.  I recently purchase the Alienware Aurora, specifically the featured promotion you can see here (not sure if links are okay, but it's to Dell's website) http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&oc=DPDODZ1&cs=19&kc=9&X=9&Y=6

The power supply unit comes with 875W of power, but that can be deceptive.  From other Aurora users, I've pieced together that (in all likelihood) the PSU uses six 12 Volt rails to supply 18 Amperage apiece.  Since a component can't connect to more than one rail at a time (but can vice-versa), that only leave 216W output for each of the HD 5770 cards that my config comes with in Crossfire.  Checking stats, it looks like each card takes up to 280W at peak stress, which would be far too much to operate here.  Had a terrible time yesterday talking to Dell Support (and Alienware support, not sure I've ever been treated as poorly by a manager as I have by theirs), and a slightly better time today talking to someone named Kyle S who did his absolute best.  It would seem silly to send a unit that would be dead on arrival (or would overheat as soon as I played something intensive on max settings with 4xAA), but I've seen other horror posts of people saying they received units that the config wouldn't work upon arrival, so I'm a little concerned.

Does anyone know know whether the 875W PSU included will adequately (and I mean up to peak stress, not medium settings) the dual 5770s?  Or if not, where I can find a PSU that will plug into the Alienware? I saw Methodical talking about a 1.2K PSU, but didn't know the specifications or if it would plug into the Aurora without losing functionality/rewiring the whole thing (comp in question was an Area 51).

Thanks for any help.

• Works fine for this person (and others):

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19359142.aspx?PageIndex=1

You might also check your specs and math. The 5770 is fairly low-power ... I think it's more like 150w each. IIRC, it only has one 6-pin power connector. It's like a nVidia 260 in power consumption and capabilities.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=pub&docid=80D6B49F83305CB1E040AC0A64E9683E

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_84D6A6EDA59E9719E040AC0A64E97CC4&isLegacy=true

I have yet to see the whole power supply label from an Aurora 875w PS (with rails documented). Maybe you would like to upload it?

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• XFX Radeon HD 5770 System Requirements

• PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0 compliant motherboard with one X16 graphics slot
    • 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
    • Certified power supplies are recommended.
    • Minimum 1GB of system memory

600w ... that's for the whole computer.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• I've only been posting the stress tests I've seen every reviewer post.  Here's an example from LegitReview - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1105/14/

I don't think it would run exceptional, except that there's two in Crossfire, which most tests put up numbers around 50 FPS on max settings.  I had seen that link (the one explaining what PSU ships with each Alienware) 

• (Reposting, it cut half my response)

I've only been posting the stress tests I've seen every reviewer post.  Here's an example from LegitReview - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1105/14/

I don't think it would run exceptional, except that there's two in Crossfire, which most tests put up numbers around 50 FPS on max settings.  I had seen that link (the one explaining what PSU ships with each Alienware) 

That link says it comes with a 1-1.2KW PSU, but that's confusing, given every other tech support (including the numbers when I built it on the website) said it came with 875W.

As soon as I receive it, I will definitely upload my findings.  In the meantime, still very confused in the discrepancy.

• LOL that link to the dell chart is definitely backwards. The Auroras have the smaller PSUs.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

• That's what I figured, unless everything Dell has told me so far has been off.

• jbair4500

I've only been posting the stress tests I've seen every reviewer post.  Here's an example from LegitReview - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1105/14/

Good review, thanks.

Notice it says "Total System Power Consumption" ... that's a whole computer. It says 2x5770 pulled 396w and you will have 875w to use.

According to the chart. my single 5870 pulls about the same as 2x5770 (396w vs. 362w)

I don't have FurMark installed, but if I run Heaven Benchmark at 1920x1200, 4xAA, and other default settings ... my APC says the machine is only pulling 260w. 170w at idle. Those numbers match up good.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• Tesla1856

jbair4500

Good review, thanks.

Notice it says "Total System Power Consumption" ... that's a whole computer. It says 2x5770 pulled 396w and you will have 875w to use.

According to the chart. my single 5870 pulls about the same as 2x5770 (396w vs. 362w)

I don't have FurMark installed, but if I run Heaven Benchmark at 1920x1200, 4xAA, and other default settings ... my APC says the machine is only pulling 260w. 170w at idle. Those numbers match up good.

Thanks for taking a look at it.  I hadn't really realized it meant total computer wattage, I figured that was a stress test for the GPU alone.  Those look like much stronger numbers now.  My only remaining point of confusion was that I though each component could only connect to a single rail at a time.  That's why the really expensive Corsair's now run a single 12 Volt rail running at 40-60 amps, so that you don't get some rails overloaded and some rails with zero pull.

That's the general marketing trick, is to have a really high wattage PSU with very low amps on each rail.  

Oh, and unrelated question, but is running Furmark on these computers really that bad?  I know they put stress on the computer, but it shouldn't be more than it can handle.  I'm only asking because of the forum FAQ stating not to use it (though that was by NVIDIA, so idk).

• These PSUs are definitely sub par compared to corsair or other major brands for their wattage. BUT they should power your 5770's no problem.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

• jbair4500

My only remaining point of confusion was that I though each component could only connect to a single rail at a time.  That's why the really expensive Corsair's now run a single 12 Volt rail running at 40-60 amps, so that you don't get some rails overloaded and some rails with zero pull.

That's the general marketing trick, is to have a really high wattage PSU with very low amps on each rail.  

Yes, that is why (overloading) ... but it's not a marketing trick. It's just the design (smaller circuits working together). Even the Corsair won't deliver the max rated 12v in real-life... for that to happen, all the other output voltages with have to be zero (in which case the PC wouldn't run).

If you have a PS with multi-rail 12v, and your video card has 2 power connectors, it would work (device is powered by more than 1 rail at a time).

As for the FurMark question ... many machines and systems (computers, cars, whatever) will operate at max or red-line for some time. However, it can accelerate wear-and-tear and longevity of the machine. Some chips run on the hot-red-line better than others. Some people rely on "governors" to protect them, but they aren't always set properly.

Posting Tips:

& Apple Developer:

I'm not a Dell employee.

• The Dell version of the 5770 is not the same as the reference card. The card uses less power and is not as fast as a reference 5770. You also must use the dell BIOS and drivers with it. Again, if you buy this card you MUST and I mean MUST use the Dell bios and drivers. If not you are almost certain to have issues. Some OEM parts do not have the same specs as a stock part. This is the case with the 5770. If I was you I WOULD NOT buy that card.

Read this post.  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/p/19341537/19731466.aspx#19731466

" You and AMD are operating under a misconception. The Dell video card is not the same as the retail video card. So AMDs Ati Radeon HD5770 may require 450w but ours does not. We ask the manufacturer to make a Dell OEM (original equipment manufacturer) video card based on our specifications. This means the GPU and Vram are tweaked by our custom Vbios.

The following video cards will work on this 350w power supply -
    Radeon HD5770, P120A
    Radeon HD5450, M114A
    GeForce GTX260 P201N
    GeForce GTS240, P118N
    GeForce 9300GE, M114N
    GeForce GT220, M205

Load the Ati Radeon HD 5770 Vbios and test the PC. Post the results. "

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• Thanks for that thread morblore. More of the truth comes out. Ive been preaching at all along. Everyone seems to think they know the exact detail of every part in their alienware computer. The truth is we have no idea what is going on behind the curtain. 

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

• Tesla, thank you.  I'm still putting pieces together, and knowing that a part can connect to multiple rails with more connectors was clearly a glaring oversight in my knowledge. I appreciate the information you've provided.

With that said, this is getting more depressing with every post.  I had no idea that Dell used OEM parts, or my purchase will stand to be more overpriced than it already is.  I knew from the get go that I was paying more for an Alienware (could have put everything together for about 1100, price was 1400), but I wanted the form factor, tech support, and financing that was offered.  Now to find out that the cards coming with my PC (thanks, Morblore) aren't even legitimate is about the last straw, and it hasn't even arrived yet.  I based my purchase off an informed decision reading benchmark tests from reviewers, and absolutely WOULD NOT have have made said purchase if I knew I was A) being lied to, or B) having most of the truth withheld. Does anyone even have benchmark scores from these OEM parts?

I'm getting really, really frustrated.  Appreciate the useful responses from the forum goers, however.  You guys have been great.

• Sorry for the double post, but I've made up my mind on the computer.  

Just got off the phone with Dell, and have decided to cancel my computer.  It is unfortunately already too late, therefore a ~$200 restocking fee is going to apply, which is about as exorbitant as I can imagine, given that it hasn't shipped yet.  Regardless, I think this is the best option, and I will take the $200 hit (plus $100 non-refundable shipping, so $300 total) as a lesson not to be fooled by flashing lights and promises of quality.  Between the impossible tech support, the OEM GPU (even though that information IS NOT  LISTED on the website), the proprietary PSU cable, and everything else, I'm thoroughly disappointed, and am unlikely to purchase a Dell again.  This purchase was made based on faith in quality parts, quality service, and honest information, as one should expect with a $1500 machine.  I got none of those, and Dell still gets $200 from me in the end.

Thank you to everyone that responded, this forum was a huge help in understanding more about computers in general, and the general way that Dell operates when building a computer.  Tesla, Morblore, and C_Ronic, your information was invaluable in a financial decision that greatly effects this poor college student.  You have my thanks.