alienware aurora motherboard question

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

alienware aurora motherboard question

• well since my last topic got deleted i think.

can you upgrade the motherboard in a alienware aurora or not? why would dell make pc's and not let you upgrade a motherboard? false advertisement hmm?

"most upgradeable computer ever"

• You cannot use profanity on our Forum. I have reposted your question below without the profanity along with Sajin1337's respomse.
    ==========

I payed 2 grand for this alienware aurora and it came with i7. The new sandy bridge is out and this motherboard doesn't support it. I heard that you can't upgrade motherboards in alienware aurora's? True?
    infamus

Which i7 processor did u buy?
    Sajin1337

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• I bought the intel core i7 930 overclocked to 3.36ghz.

• oh wow 2 hours  .. little impatient arent we .... you can change anyhting you want but expect to loose the I/O controller for lights/ect   and sandy bridge is a different  socket so  it would be new board/cpu and OS since dell OEM OS is only good legally for dell systems .. 

• so what will i loose besides lights? 

• you will also lose the OS and possibly the liquid cooling because it might not fit the socket for the new motherboard.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

• That is so lame on dell's part.. They make you pay so much for this computer, and say it's so upgradable but then again they don't let you upgrade a motherboard haha?

They exspect us to keep the same processor forever? or buy a whole new pc a year later?  that is why nobody likes alienware. i gave them a chance to.

• Tell me about it. BUT now that I think about it alienware is offering the aurora with the new sandy bridge boards. SO that makes you think the cooler will fit or maybe they have the mount that fits. Im not sure youll be able to buy just a mount from them though if thats the case.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

• well, thanks for answering. i'll just use this system and get a year or two out of it, then i guess i'll get a new pc. in the future, alienware should change their ways, but they won't.

• Does anyone know if you took the replaced the motherboard from a previous gen i7 Alienware Aurora set up to the new second gen i7 alienware aorora motherboard and dropped it in with new memory and cpu would you lose the thermal controls and light controls? That is saying if I replaced a stock motherboard with a stock Aurora R3 motherboard that supports the i7 2600k would I lose thermal control and lights?