Area 51 Issues - Format Help Please

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Area 51 Issues - Format Help Please

• So recently been getting some message on startup that state things like this:

"The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a critical notification event."

"Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.  "

Another was ballon message in UAC that I had disabled something that during startup a windows service was unable to start and this happens when trying to log in with a normal user and I can't read the rest before it dispears.

So figured maybe time to format no idea why I'm having these issues but few friends have had some security issues when watching streams using Octoshape. Which I use to watch some Starcraft 2 events. All of this has started since I installed RayV player to watch Blizzcon 2010 from Direct TV. Have ran 4 different virus scanners and malaware programs. According to them my system it great yet in last 3 days my startup time is taking LONGER and longer and now my PC is failing to shutdown / restart. Hangs on "Saving your settings // Shuting Down" Screen and I have to force reboot.

So I have taken tons of screenshots and saved all stuff I guess I need. Have a few questions though since there is a lot of "Preloaded" stuff on this Area 51.

1) Will I lose all my Alienware Red & Black startup and shutdown screens?

2) I have some photos / downloads to save me time reinstalling stuff / music saved on my Data HD my 2nd drive if I only format Disc 1 they will be inact on the fresh format? Never had a secondary data drive sorry

3) What is correct say to install stuff since I will assume my A07 Bios will be untouched, and what Alienware guide says just put in Windows 64 bit disc and boot up and format into NTFS.

4) Do I need to do anything addtional important driver wise? Like should I presave any downloads from my Alienware DL page like Bluray Drive / Alienware CC 2.5.52.0

5) What is correct order to do Sound / Video Drivers because I will assume Windows will do some prefound ones? Do I need to driver clean and disable some auto install stuff an install in safemode or anything crazy?

THANK YOU so very much for helping a fustrated guy who is already on his 2nd Area 51 this year.

Model: Alienware Area-51 X58 / Command Center: Currently not working / Bios: A06
    Processor: Intel Core i7 980 Extreme @ 3.33GHz
    HDD: 2 Seagate Barracuda x 1TB SATA-II, 7200rpm, 32mb cache HDDs
    Memory: 6GB Triple-Channel 1333MHz DDR3
    Graphic: nVidia GTX 480, 1.5GB GDDR5
    Monitor: LG 21.5" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD
    Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
    Mouse: Logitech G9
    Keyboard: G19
    Media Card: 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Optical Drive: Dell Blu-Ray DVD Multi Recorder DH-6E2S
    Power Supply: 1.1KW Power Supply

• You won't lose your boot screen if that's what you mean- the background picture will go to a windows default picture after a clean install. You can re- download all of the A/W backgrounds from the forums- I think Chris has a link on his post's.

the photos ect on the other drive will be okay, but i would move them to a disk and format it too unless you are sure it's clean and the amount of stuff is too large to move.

You can make a disk for all drivers or just re- download.

The bios will be fine. That will stay the same unless you update it to a newer version.

I have a thumb drive with all my passwords and license keys for games / steam ect , you could put them on a disk. I just copy paste them to a word doc and store on thumb drive.

Windows will find drivers for your sound cards- video cards . You can update the drivers from your home made driver disk or re- download. remove the older drivers and use CCleaner to clean up after removing.

Your biggest problem is going to be time- if you have a large amount of games to re- install.

Have you removed the software and it's files - run a cleaner yet. You may a driver conflicts . i would remove all of the software you think started the problem - then erase the files for it in the c drive and run CCLeaner or glary utility re- boot and see what happens before wiping the drive.

AURORA ALX, I7 920, UNDER REBUILD
    XPS 730 X.. I7 950  BIOS 1.05  WIN7 PRO

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• Man I need ESL classesSmile The force shut down means a process is running - for example i have steam, skype auto start when windows start. I get the same message during a shut down. I just let it shut down on it's own - look @ what programs you have running down in the triangle . When you downloaded the software you think is causing the problem it may be set to auto start when windows boots up. You may have got other stuff in that download that is running as well- and because you allowed it in the UAC screen it is now running. I think if you remove the offending software run the cleaners you may be fine. It won't hurt and if it you still have a prob then do a clean install. You should buy a drive for backup so you can you use system restore.

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• Criticisms

Octoshape has been criticized[7] for its license terms. Among other things, Octoshape's EULA prohibits the user utilizing the records that their firewall or anti-virus software may record, for protection against reverse engineering the Octoshape software.

Other points of criticism:

• Shifts the broadcaster's share of the cost of bandwidth to the listeners instead by running servers on the listeners' machines.
    • Octoshape reserves the right to expand the scope of what its software does on listeners' computers.[8]

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• RAYV.EXE has been seen to perform the following behavior:

This Process Deletes Other Processes From Disk
    Executes a Process
    This process creates other processes on disk
    Adds products to the system registry
    Enables a COM Object/Server on the Local Machine
    Creates a TCP port which listens and is available for communication initiated by other computers
    Can communicate with other computer systems using HTTP protocols
    Registers a Dynamic Link Library File
    Adds a Registry Key (RUN) to auto start Programs on system start up
    Automatically changes your firewall settings to allow itself or other programs to communicate over the internet
    The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a software packing process
    Writes to another Process's Virtual Memory (Process Hijacking)
    RAYV.EXE has been the subject of the following behavior:

Executed as a Process
    Deleted as a process from disk
    Created as a process on disk
    Has code inserted into its Virtual Memory space by other programs
    Terminated as a Process
    Enabled as a COM Object/Server on the Local Machine
    Added as a Registry auto start to load Program on Boot up
    Executed by Internet Explorer

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• Maybe Chris or some one can comment on the behaviors of these programs you installed, I think your rig got some bad dope. Esp the part about turning your rig into a server for their platform. I would open  the task manager- find the file locations - stop the process from running and delete them, run the cleaners and registry fixer and then see where your at then.

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• look for these files

RAYV.EXE can also use the following file names:

• RAYVSETUP.EXE
    • PROGRAMI_PER_TV_KANALE[1].EXE
    • PROGRAMI_PER_TV_KANALE.EXE
    • RCX3.TMP
    • RAYV[1].EXE

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• Octoshape is a peer to peer streaming media server and client which uses peer to peer grid technology to minimize the bandwidth for any broadcaster to stream any material.
    Protocol Summary and Ports Range of Octoshape

Octoshape use HTTP to connect server, and use UDP to communicate on ports 554, 5060.To block Octoshape, you also need to block RTMP.

Associated Malware Groups

The unsafe files using this name are associated with the malware group:

* Virus

File Behavior

OCTOSHAPE.EXE has been seen to perform the following behavior:

* The Process is packed and/or encrypted using a software packing process

OCTOSHAPE.EXE has been the subject of the following behavior:

* Created as a process on disk
        * Executed as a Process

Country Of Origin

The filename OCTOSHAPE.EXE was first seen on Oct 18 2008 in the following geographical region of the Prevx community:

* Estonia on Oct 18 2008

Determining whether octoshape-0711051.dll is a virus or a legitimate Windows DLL depends on the directory location it executes or runs from.

The following is the available information on octoshape.exe:
    Property    Value
    Product name    Octoshape Streaming Services
    Company name    Octoshape ApS
    File description    Octoshape add-in for Adobe Flash Player
    Internal name    ophdefaultsua-0810242
    Original filename    ophdefaultsua-0810242.exe
    Comments    ophdefaultsua (smallProxy,noUDP,noOctoTime,oph,ophStripped,noConsole) built by cwm from v302
    Legal copyright    (C) 2008 Octoshape ApS
    Product version    20081024T1445
    File version    0810242
    Digital signatures [?]

octoshape.exe is not signed.
    Folder name variants

octoshape.exe may also be located in other folders than C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\octoshape\. The most common variants are listed below:

* C:\Documents and Settings\ArtDept-1\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\octoshape\
        * C:\Documents and Settings\Robert Boes\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\octoshape\
        * c:\Users\Troy Smith\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\octoshape\
        * D:\Documents and Settings\vtruong\Application Data\Macromedia\Flas

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam

• If the system is still running, you can backup User Images and AW Theme

AW User images are at:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\Default Pictures

You can reset your theme to the AW Default, Save it, then Export it (save theme for sharing)

If you would have created an Image Backup of your C: drive when everything was working (and no strange apps were loaded), you could restore your system in about 30 minutes.

Once the installed OS has been violated (by virus, trojans, spyware, rogue apps, etc.) the only way you can make sure it's clean is to reload Windows from scratch (or reload a perfect Backup Image).

If you load strange apps, don't be surprised when things go wrong. I suggest you only load and run legitimate apps. If you must load questionable apps, you could at least try running them in a Virtual PC session to minimize damage.

I'm not sure what your Windows technical experience level is, but you might need this:

This is how I rebuild an AW desktop system:

Unplug everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

If the Alienware F12 Diagnostics Partition is missing from boot drive (and you want it)
    - Restore as first hidden partition on boot drive: Hidden Primary 40mb OEM Partition.
    - Get Alienware Diagnostics from Dell. Use it to restore partition.
    - Or, just run it from Bootable-CD when you need it

Install Windows-7 (64 bit) first.

Install latest Dell drivers (from support.dell.com ... for your Service Tag)
    This order is important:

Intel Chipset Drivers (must be installed first)
    Video Drivers
    Audio Drivers (Realtek on-board or Other)
    Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet (optional if using Microsoft bundled drivers instead)
    eSATA Driver (SIL-Silicon Image)
    JMicron Sata Controller (For optical drives - Area51 Only)

Ignore driver updates from Windows Update. Drivers should some from Dell.
    - Or they can come OEM manufacturer (ie. Creative for X-Fi audio card).

Install Microsoft .Net Frameworks versions 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 (just Frameworks not SDKs)
    - Use Microsoft Update. If you need them, they will be offered. Also get the .Net Service Packs.
    - Or, see http://webtrickz.com/checking-net-framework-version-installed-on-your-windows/

Install AlienWare Command Center

The Intel Storage (RST) software is optional in a single "spinning drive" environment.
    If running a RAID HDD setup or SSD it's recommended. Install Intel RST 9.6.0.1014.
    Once installed, it replaces the Microsoft HDD driver and cannot be un-installed or removed.

Install Microsoft Security Essentials (or your favorite Anti-Virus/ Anti-Spyware)
    Windows Firewall is handling the software firewall duties
    - If not already done, put machine behind a hardware router/firewall ASAP.

Go ahead and install all the missing Important and Recommended Windows Updates.
    Use Acronis (or similar) to make a complete Image Backup of your drive or partition.

Now, it should be safe to visit websites other than dell.com and microsoft.com .
    - To prevent problems stick to legitimate websites.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Thanks for all the great information, just another observation as last night I tried to do a system restore to a previous point before using those 2 programs in question. When I hit F8 during boot I got option to "Repair Windows" when loaded it gave me like 6 listed items and last being Restore Alienrespawn to stock OEM state. Is this something that normally comes with all Alienware machines will doing this roll my PC back to how I first started it up without doing a format and all new driver installs?

"If you would have created an Image Backup of your C: drive when everything was working (and no strange apps were loaded), you could restore your system in about 30 minutes."

How do I get this Image Backup when I do the respawn / fresh install. Looked through some resources to search for information but all of them involved 3rd party software I'm not familar with.

Also Octoshape and RayV player are not random untrusted software both are used to stream gaming converences and such. MLG uses Ocotoshape so I can't 100 percent blame just using a P2P program it could of been any number of things. My concern started with 9 minute startup times, windows not shuting down successfully and then apparently the Windows service that wasn't starting on startup was fact somehow my Creative Driver crashed and was failing. Now as mentioned I have done a restore to about 15 days ago outside the clock being wrong from Daylight Savings the PC is now shutting down and rebooting succesfully.

Also not sure if needed information now or even helps, but I run my PC very cleanly. I have NOTHING set to run on startup but needed windows services and Creative Sound Driver / Nvidia Display Driver / Intel RST/ Logitech Mouse Driver. Yes I have Steam / Skype ect but nothing set to start with windows. Think I have 41 processes loaded on fresh windows startup and I have checked over and over an nothing is a virus or weird service.

Do I still have concerns? Yep and I reran AVG / Kaspersky / Malawarebytes / Ccleaner / Trend Micro and all of them said my PC was fine. Ran Pcpitstop and got 3 percent result of all PC's tested and only issues it had was me saving passwords in FF and IE. So I have no idea and do agree it could be a driver issue, it might be registry issue. Just think my best option is to start from scratch so hence why I asked if Respawn option would be the fastest. I don't want anything to remain and possibly be corrupt I want best option for stability and performance. Though I assume your intructions mean for me to replace Creative in place of Realtek being I don't have onboard or that card. So of course this is why I'm asking much more experienced and knowledgeable people then me. Sure I can put in windows disk an boot up an do a reformat I have done it before. Just not a PC with tons of high end components.

Model: Alienware Area-51 X58 / Command Center: Currently not working / Bios: A06
    Processor: Intel Core i7 980 Extreme @ 3.33GHz
    HDD: 2 Seagate Barracuda x 1TB SATA-II, 7200rpm, 32mb cache HDDs
    Memory: 6GB Triple-Channel 1333MHz DDR3
    Graphic: nVidia GTX 480, 1.5GB GDDR5
    Monitor: LG 21.5" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD
    Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
    Mouse: Logitech G9
    Keyboard: G19
    Media Card: 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Optical Drive: Dell Blu-Ray DVD Multi Recorder DH-6E2S
    Power Supply: 1.1KW Power Supply