Problems with Alienware

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Problems with Alienware

• How is it that Alienware has so many problems and factory defects ? Isnt this suppose to be one of high end computers, that is actually worth the amount of money paid for ?

• Is it because AW owners tend to be a bit more hardcore and so 1) notice more stuff and 2) push their machines harder leading to more issues?

• Mine works fine.

Out of the thousands of machines they sell each month (to English speaking countries world-wide), do you really think it's a lot?

Flotown said it good here:

Re: New Alienware on its way.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I think it's a valid question. The M11x hinge is a case in point (and previously I've heard M15x also had same issue). I guess if one knew exactly how many AW units were out there with no significant issues and exactly how many have big issues and compare the ratio of the two with other brands we can provide a sensible answer.

• Yes my M11x hinge was completely split in half , and it was only purchased in May 2010. Luckily it was on warranty ..

• I pruchased a aurora alx last month, and was going to purchase the m17x this month. after what i went through with it in the past month, I am highly doubt i will purchase AW ever again.

Area 51 ALX
    i7 980X
    Dual 5970 CrossFire
    512GB OCZ Vertex SSD
    1200W PSU
    12GB 1600MHz RAM
    USB3.0

• I suspect it's easy to look at the forums and mistakenly suggest that AlienWare has a lot issues.

Delve into the depth of the forums though and I think one would tend to notice that alot of the "issues" relate to things the average joe who buys a stock computer off the shelf is not likely to even consider.  Talking about what temps your cores, graphics and the various fan speeds aren't the usual topics of a mass market computer tech support line.  Most people would probably just ring their warranty people too if something occurred and I doubt they'd be bothered to check any forums.

I think it's fair to say it has a lot to do with the type of customer that is attracted to these machine.  People who want high performance and an ability to tinker to their hearts content.

• I follow this forum daily . Many issues are minor with some being operator error, granted some issues are major. I purchased an Aurora ALX last Oct/09. I'm 1 year into my system with NO hardware issues and many hours of hardcore gaming.

AURORA ALX 0H869M / A11 /  CC 2.5.35.0 / I7 920 / OCZ 6X 2GB 1600 / 2X ATI 5870 / 11.11 ccc / ONBOARD REALTEK / 2X 500GB RAID 0, 2X 80GB RAID 0 / ACER X269W / TACTX KEYBOARD MOUSE / W7 64 / PSU 875W

• I just got my new m17x yesterday and after less than 4 hours I noticed it randomly bluescreening when I moved. I just noticed a hour ago that it has a senstive spot on the bottom and if I tap it just right it blue screens everytime. so looks like I'm another one for the factory defect list

• Shut down, turn off, remove battery ...

... then re-seat your RAM modules.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• AW or dell should really take these issues seriously... we've paid them good money, the least that we expect from them is to have a problem free machine out of their factories. I also have to send back my aurora unit back in Jul coz the machine just wont stay up and running.. people may say, ok, just open it up and re-insert all cards, but why would i do that, its a brand new expensive machine and its not working..  the upsetting part is that the machine comes with a black booklet and in its intro (page 5) it  says that  "they've built the machine to perform to its fullest potential, tested it thoroughly, etc.."  which is just and plain simple and a big lie...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alienware Aurora (x58 - Bios A09) ~ CC 2.5.52 ~  Intel Core i7-920 Quad (2.66 Ghz) ~ 6 gigs ddr3-1333 ram ~ 875w PS ~ ATI Radeon 5870 ~ Catalyst 10.7 ~ No Sound Card ~ 1TB HDD 7200 RPM ~ DVD +/-RW, 16X (stock) ~ Alienware OptX AW2310~ AW TactX Keyboard ~ AW Standard  Optical Mouse ~ Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ~

XPS 1530 ~ Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T7250 ~4gb~256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT

• Many times during shipping, components become loose. I always reseat components (cables, cards, ram) before I turn on a Desktop PC for the first time. Plus, it allows you to learn about the chassis and internal parts.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Hi Chris,

If that is the case then is there something AW or Dell can do to prevent such issues? Coz as you know not many people are comfortable in opening their PCs and unplugging and plugging things on it. I've been working with computers for 10+ yrs now (mostly on SW not HW) however im still not comfortable opening and re-inserting things on it. That's actually one of the reasons why i personally bought a ready made PC rather than building one for my self.

Cant you guys not put some sort of foams inside that can be easily pulled out by the customers before starting their PCs for the first time. I remember seeing such thing back then when my company bought a sun server. It was really packed inside with foams that even if you shook or roll it, nothing will fall off on it. Its really quite disappointing having paid 4K-5K dollars for a PC and in  your first few days of using it, it wouldnt stay up online even for an hour..

kan..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alienware Aurora (x58 - Bios A09) ~ CC 2.5.52 ~  Intel Core i7-920 Quad (2.66 Ghz) ~ 6 gigs ddr3-1333 ram ~ 875w PS ~ ATI Radeon 5870 ~ Catalyst 10.7 ~ No Sound Card ~ 1TB HDD 7200 RPM ~ DVD +/-RW, 16X (stock) ~ Alienware OptX AW2310~ AW TactX Keyboard ~ AW Standard  Optical Mouse ~ Windows 7 Professional 64-bit ~

XPS 1530 ~ Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T7250 ~4gb~256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT

• I can only tell you about my reasoning for going with D3LL/ AW. I bought a refurbished Aurora ALX , it was a lot less than a new system from AW or any other high end provider. My system has 2 HD 5870's I7 920 2 750 GB Raid 0 . I paid  a little over 2k for this, it would have cost me  a lot more new. one of the reasons but not the main one that I went with dell is the economy. My logic was that if the economy continues to slide , dell is not likely to go out of business. Now some of the other well know gaming pc makers might not either but less than 6 years ago there were many more shops than now excluding the buyouts of A/W and Voodoo.  The other well known shops might not survive if markets go south, then what good is a three year warranty ? .

With two kids and a wife that doesn't share or like  my addiction to computers/ electronics  I went with Dell because of the bang for my buck, good past experience's with their pc's  and a  belief  that they will be around in a couple of years to support my warranty. I have been lucky so far, the only prob I had was a bad HD and D3ll replaced it right away without question. My Aurora has exceeded all of my expectations ! and handles everything I have run on it at full settings. Every company that makes a product has problems @ some point with parts ect. I can't speak about laptops but in the high end / gaming desktop market I think D3LL / AW hold their own. AND OUR A/W PC'S LOOK BETTER THAN ANY PC PERIOD !.Big Smile

AURORA ALX, I7 920, UNDER REBUILD
    XPS 730 X.. I7 950  BIOS 1.05  WIN7 PRO

2x 750 RAID 0,

GPU HD 5870 X2 IN CF

AW FX  1.0.51.0

teutonic360 on steam