unsure if my PC is overclocked or not

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

unsure if my PC is overclocked or not

• hey, okay, im a total idiot when it comes to overclocking. i know just enough to know that i dont know enough to risk trying to do it. yet, i see some mentions of alienware pcs like my Aurora coming in a factory overclocked fashion. and while i have never overclocked my pc myself, maybe it came that way already? so i need to ask, where do i look to tell if my pc is currently being overclocked?

i am mostly curious about this because of some system instability with one specific program that i have detailed elsewhere in this forum.

• Download CPU-Z and you should be able to see it under "Core Speed"

• okay, i see the core speed listed on the copy of cpu-z i have. it is listed at roughly 2800 MHz. what am i looking for that would indicate my pc being overclocked within cpu-z? remember that i am a complete and utter noob when it comes to overclocking.

• aXa

okay, i see the core speed listed on the copy of cpu-z i have. it is listed at roughly 2800 MHz. what am i looking for that would indicate my pc being overclocked within cpu-z? remember that i am a complete and utter noob when it comes to overclocking.

That's fine, don't worry. Core speed is the speed of your CPU from that you can determine if it has been overclocked or not. Compare your default core speed to this. Right click on computer click "Properties" there you'll see the processor speed.

• ahh, my processor is listed as an "intel core i7 cpu    920 @ 2.67GHz  2.67GHz".  not much of any real difference between the two; a slight variance but not much. does that mean it is not overclocked? i figure if it was overclocked the difference would be significantly larger.

• The CPU's are overclocked by using Turbo mode. CPU-Z will tell you the speed it is running at but your CPU may be in power saving mode and not running at full speed when you are looking at it. You can set power options in the control panel to performance to make it run at the turbo speeds all the time and then check CPU-Z.

The best way to check if it's OC or not is in the BIOS. Click this link. It will tell you how to get to the bios screen you want and also how to OC the CPU if it's not.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=6D7FD7301EE797A5E040AE0AB7E10D4E&doclang=en&cs=

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder