M17x temps are getting high

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

M17x temps are getting high

• hey pals,

after ~4 months of silently watching this forum im finally making my first post.

Im a proud owner of the M17x  and beside some small issues im totally happy with the system, BUT the current heat wave is about to kill me and my notebook.

While the room temps are about 30°C, my laptop (running on top of a cooling pad) is idling at these temps (note: crossfire on, knowing the fan speed is inaccurate):

after stressig the cpu/gpu by gaming a random game for about 10 minutes the max values rose to:

now im knowing this beast can take a lot of heat but 90°C (!) is quite a lot imo, also the wsad kays reach temps of ~45°C , which is kinda " preventing the machines´ purpose" as gaming rig -i cant play like that for more then an hour ...

So any hint how to decrease the temps are welcome, i woulnt even mind if the fans get louder but so far i couldnt manage to find a solution with onbord tools-was even  hard enough finding a working temp monitor for this laptop.

Thanks in advance

~Fred

-----------------

update: run the full diagnostig test whole day - returned err code 3700:011B -GPU Fan Speed incorrect

guess ill contact support hotline

Alienware M17x R2 

Intel i7 920XM(2,00GHz,8MB) 

8192MB (2x4096) DDR3

1TB (2x500GB) Raid 0

Dual 1GB ATI HD 4870

• 1. 86F room temp is HOT. Turn your AC on. Get it down to about 76F.

2. Up the fan speed on your video cards to 100% using ATI Overdrive.

Repost temps.

Top Deck Tech Station HPTX / 3x Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE"  
    Silverstone 1500W
    EVGA X58 4-WAY SLI Classified
    6GB Super-Talent DDR3-2000 @ 2000MHz @ 7-7-7-21
    i7-980x @ 4.3GHz / Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    3x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Superclocked @ 895/2300
    2x Western Digital VelociRaptor HD's

• how do I increase the fan speeds........this computer is turning out to be a nightmare........