Alienware Aurora (2009) - alternative cooling ?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware Aurora (2009) - alternative cooling ?

• My Alienware Aurora (2009) PC was supplied with Asetek liquid cooling as standard.
    The CPU is a Core i7-920 2.66GHz running at 3.20GHz (level 1 overclocking enabled)

Now, whilst this is quiet enough when the PC is idle, once the cores are under 100% load the solitary extractor fan can rev up to 2000RPM and gets very noisy.

So I was thinking...... maybe I should fit a more traditional HSF and a separate case fan to help the air flow.

This raises a number of questions though, and I'm hoping for some help from you guys Smile

Firstly, if the HSF requires you to fit a backplate to the rear of the motherboard can this be done by just removing the right-side panel ?
    Can you even get to the back of the mobo from there ?
    If not, and rather than have to disconnect everything and remove the mobo, is there a recommended HSF that can be fitted with a 'push-pin' assembly ?

Secondly, once the HSF and case fan are fitted, can they be connected to the CPU_PUMP & SYS_FAN headers on the top lighting board ?
    Will this give them enough 'juice' to spin adequately and will they adjust their speeds according to the temps ?

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Alienware Aurora (2009) | Intel Core I7-920 2.66GHz @ 3.20GHz

6Gb RAM | Windows 7 64-Bit

Bios Version A11 | Command Centre 2.6.10

Nividia GeForce GTX460 1Gb | Realtek HD Onboard Audio

OCZ Alchemy Keyboard | Logitech G5 Mouse

• You'll need to mod the pump to use it with the CPU_PUMP connector beacause the connector for the pump on the lightboard is kinda strange...

But it also works with 4 cables which could be the same ones as a normal 12V pump would use them.

You just have to figure out which one is + 5V, +12V and whic ones are mass.

• Right, so if I connected a 4-pin cable from a standard HSF to the CPU_PUMP will the fan spin round ?

Is the SYS_FAN header 4-pin also ? Would a case fan rotate if plugged in to it ?

• You'll be able to use every fan at the 4 pin SYS_FAN header but I'd recommend using a PWM fan.

I've looked around on the internet and found out some interesting things...

AFAIK you'll be abled to run any pump with the CPU_PUMP connector at the lightboard.

That's what you'll have to do:

The 2 contacts the one cable is connecting (both at lightboard) are +5 and mass.

The cables goning to the pump are +12V and mass.

Unfortunately I don't know which one is mass and which one the +X V...

But you could figure it out:

connect a LED to the 2 contacts belonging together.

LEDs only work one way, so youll se which contact of the plug will be the positive one.

Take care cause LED only work short time with more than 2V.

• Here's my idea of how to manage that...

I'm thinkin of building in a better water cooling system...

If you connect a normal fan to the CPU_PUMP connector it'll spin at 100% all the time but you can also use the normal CPU_FAN connector.

The normal water cooler also needs a backplate baybe it's also compatible to your HSF.

• That all seems a bit complicated for me.....Wink

I've sourced an Akasa Nero CPU cooler which has push-pin clips and a PWM-controlled fan.

I shall also add a separate Akasa fan to the rear of the case to help with heat extraction.

I took a look at the lighting board tonight and there is another header called CPU_FAN, so I can use that instead; and then attach the case fan to SYS_FAN.

I just hope that the HSF will fit OK, because I noticed there is a small fan on the Northbridge ? / Southbridge ? chip .....Surprise

Thanks for your input, anyway.

Yes

• As long as you unplugg the CPU_PUMP everything will work fine.

The  Akasa Nero will work fine, there should be enough space.

Please sand me some pics when you're done, hopefully they'll help me with my planned mod...

• Well fitting the new Akasa heatsink turned out to be a non-starter !

The HSF that was on the chipset prevented me from fitting the Nero in the position I wanted (i.e. blowing out the rear of the case).

I rotated it so that it could blow out the grille at the top of the case, but again the chipset HSF caused problems. If I fitted the fan to the Nero first I couldn't then get to the push-pins to secure it to the motherboard. If I put the Nero in place first, I couldn't then fit the fan because the chipset HSF was in the way.

"Botheration" I thought (it may have been slightly more crude than that !!)

So in the end I compromised; I just fitted the £7 Akasa fan (4-pin PWM-controlled) to the back of the radiator grille and connected it to the CPU_FAN header.

This seems to have done the trick; temperatures have come done slightly, but more importantly now there are two fans doing the work (instead of one) the RPMs have dropped significantly and so has the noise !!

Result ! (Sort of).

• Could you post somepics please???

I'm interested in the way you've mounted it.