Problems with Command Center/AlienFX (No Board Detected). Possible Firmware Malfunction.

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Problems with Command Center/AlienFX (No Board Detected). Possible Firmware Malfunction.

This question is answered

I followed the directions to uninstall my current version of Command Center, reboot, and then install the new A08 version. My lighting is not working and all temperature sensors read 0 and fans are stuck at what sounds like 50% even though Command Center reads them as 0%.

Command Center, lighting, temperature sensors, and fan control were all working prior to upgrading to A08.

I uninstalled A08, shut down, unplugged the computer for 10 seconds, booted up, and attempted to reinstall A08. During installation at the part where normally the little window comes up when the firmware is being upgraded it displays a blank next to "current firmware version" and the window says "No Board Detected". Could it be that it did a bad flash of the firmware during the last installation attempt? What should I do now?

---

Jeff C. Guevara

Alienware Aurora Desktop

CPU: Intel i7 960 @ 3.20GHz

Memory:  6GB 1336MHz

Verified Answer
  •  

DELL-Chris M

2JXP2 Aurora Deimos/Aurora R2 Voltaire ALX Master I/O Board
    P0GVP Aurora Deimos/Aurora R2 Voltaire non-ALX Master I/O Board

* Power off
    * Open the case cover
    * Locate the Master I/O board (not the motherboard, a smaller board)
    * There is a greeen plastic jumper
    * Remove the jumper from the pins, power the PC on, then off
    * Replace the jumper. Did this reset the Master I/O board causing the fans and LEDs to go to factory defaults?
    * Or, if the jumper was only on two of the pins, put it on the other two, power the PC on, then off
    * Replace the jumper. Did this reset the Master I/O board causing the fans and LEDs to go to factory defaults?
    * If not, your only recourse is to have Dell Technical Support replace the Master I/O board since the firmware is corrupted

Using the jumper to reset the Master I/O board was not successful. I called Dell Technical support and, because my system is less than 90 days old, they are sending me a replacement Aurora Desktop with the exact same specs. When it gets here, I just need to swap the hard drives and mail the old desktop back. I am a bit paranoid about installing A08 again. I think I will wait for A09.

All Replies
  • Find your resource CD. On it is the Command Center A00. Install that so it flashes the control board. After its installed try installing the new command center again. I'v done this a few times and it worked for me. Don't bother with uninstalling the old one before the new one this time around. If you boot up after all is done and you still have blank command center shut down,unplug comp and hold power button down for 15sec. Plug it back in and boot up.

If that doesnt work then you need to call dell. Have food and water ready. They will spend about 1.5 hours connected to your computer installing and uninstalling command center trying to get it to work. Then they spend about 1 hour playing with the FX tester. When the guy fails then he will send you a new one.

Side note. When the tech comes to install the new board there is a VERY strong chance he has never done it before. My guy didn't even know how to remove the panel.  After he installs it he wil have something crossed or not fully plugged in. Best to get the tech to leave you the part and do it yourself. All cables are marked but for 2. Mark them yourself. Get your food and water again and go at it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• I'm having this exact same problem. Everything was working fine last night, then after attempting to install Command Center A08, all the lights on my Aurora went dark and the fan now stays on at an increased speed constantly, 50% sounds about accurate. Any attempts to uninstall/reinstall Command Center lead to the "board not detected" message when the time to flash the alienfx firmware comes up. Did a total system restore to try and fix it, but still nothing. Loud fans, no lights and no loading alienfx controller.

Hoping there's a software solution before having to send my Aurora in for a i/o board replacement. Such a shame, since everything was working just fine prior to this update.

Alienware Aurora Desktop
    Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 920 (3.2GHz, 8MB Cache)
    9GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
    Single 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon™ HD 5970
    500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD

•  

DELL-Chris M

2JXP2 Aurora Deimos/Aurora R2 Voltaire ALX Master I/O Board
    P0GVP Aurora Deimos/Aurora R2 Voltaire non-ALX Master I/O Board

* Power off
    * Open the case cover
    * Locate the Master I/O board (not the motherboard, a smaller board)
    * There is a greeen plastic jumper
    * Remove the jumper from the pins, power the PC on, then off
    * Or, if the jumper was only on two of the pins, put it on the other two, power the PC on, then off
    * If not, your only recourse is to have Dell Technical Support replace the Master I/O board since the firmware is corrupted

Using the jumper to reset the Master I/O board was not successful. I called Dell Technical support and, because my system is less than 90 days old, they are sending me a replacement Aurora Desktop with the exact same specs. When it gets here, I just need to swap the hard drives and mail the old desktop back. I am a bit paranoid about installing A08 again. I think I will wait for A09.

• morblore

Find your resource CD. On it is the Command Center A00. Install that so it flashes the control board. After its installed try installing the new command center again. I'v done this a few times and it worked for me. Don't bother with uninstalling the old one before the new one this time around. If you boot up after all is done and you still have blank command center shut down,unplug comp and hold power button down for 15sec. Plug it back in and boot up.

If that doesnt work then you need to call dell. Have food and water ready. They will spend about 1.5 hours connected to your computer installing and uninstalling command center trying to get it to work. Then they spend about 1 hour playing with the FX tester. When the guy fails then he will send you a new one.

Side note. When the tech comes to install the new board there is a VERY strong chance he has never done it before. My guy didn't even know how to remove the panel.  After he installs it he wil have something crossed or not fully plugged in. Best to get the tech to leave you the part and do it yourself. All cables are marked but for 2. Mark them yourself. Get your food and water again and go at it.

Thank you, Morblore.

Installing Command Center A00 did not work, unfortunately.

Following that, my experience with Dell Tech support is almost identical to yours. The only difference is that when the tech came, he had the wrong part. He had the Power Button/2x USB Port/1394 port/mic/headphone assembly. I restrained myself from laughing out loud. The tech appologized and called to get Dell to mail me a replacement system. When it gets here, I can just swap the hard drives and mail my old system back.

A minor inconvenience for a shiny new system. I'm satisfied with their service!

• Hi all,

I just discovered this thread after a couple of very frustrating days. Up until recently I was quite happy with my Alienware Aurora pc. Then two weeks ago it began to lockup, a few minutes after booting it would freeze. I would have to reboot where after it seemed to work fine. I did some checking and discovered that the AlienFX and specifically the ThermalController was NOT working properly, (the lights failed as well).

Trusting Dell to have proper software (big mistake) I tried to upgrade to a newer version 2.5 A08. Once I rebooted after this 'upgrade' the harddrive fans roared into life. They are very loud, far too loud. It's very annoying. I did some checking and within the system devices I can see that one of the USB devices is showing a warning icon indicating that there is an issue with the IO board or at least the drivers. I have tried the different tricks listed in this forum including installing CC 2.5 A07, 2.5 A08 and 2.6 with no success. Now I have no lights and a pc that is just way too loud.

Of course my Aurora is not under warranty any more, isn't that always the way?

Is Dell working on a fix for this?

• Read these carefully and try all the steps:

en.community.dell.com/.../19986589.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../19888030.aspx

Do the Dell Diagnostics tests for the MIO-Board pass ?

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I ran the series of tests, (there are quite a few) after rebooting and hitting F12. All tests passed except the following cryptic error:

Device Initialization Error

Error Code" 5D00:0009

Msg: UUTUSBTM - DEVICE_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE, user must reattacht unit on root hub port 1 and restart test.

• NOGI001

I ran the series of tests, (there are quite a few) after rebooting and hitting F12. All tests passed except the following cryptic error:

Device Initialization Error

Error Code" 5D00:0009

Msg: UUTUSBTM - DEVICE_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE, user must reattacht unit on root hub port 1 and restart test.

Ya, that means it can't find the MIO-Board.

Try all the stuff in those threads I posted. If that all fails, you will have to get the MIO-Board replaced.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• I have tried these things and still no luck. It would seem that the board is toast?

I have been trying to contact customer support in the Netherlands. They have transferred my call 3 times and put me on hold for 20 minutes. I must say that Dell support is just terrible. If you want to buy something its' no problem. If you need service, well just forget it. I need to purchase a new laptop soon but based on this experience I doubt it is going to be another Dell product.

• I can't believe how bad Dell customer service is. I have been on and off the phone for hours now and talked to no less than 6 different people which means I have had to explain the same story 6 times. I have even just offered to purchase a new MIO-board and install it myself but to no avail. The last kid I had on the phone suggested that I update my bios to A11, (which I did) and of course it didn't help.

Anyone know how to get support for an Alienware Aurora pc?

• Whenever my aurora starts up I am greeted with a number of error messages. The ventilator that sits perpendicular to the harddrives continues to roar away a ear shattering decibels. There have been no lights for long while now. My experience Dell support was unpleasant. There were people with a rudimentary grasp of english, others with no clue and astonishing just tried to talk through me instead attempting to help. I have included here under the stack trace and list of loaded .Net assemblies for the CommandCenter problems if any support personel has actual code knowledge.

On the bright side I have purchased a HP Elitebook 8540w. It's running fine and feels really solid. With 16 Gb RAM and a SSD I should be able to get a lot of work done. I am very happy with it. Oh ya, and it's very quiet.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.Threading.ThreadStateException: Thread is running or terminated; it cannot restart.

Server stack trace:

at System.Threading.Thread.StartInternal(IPrincipal principal, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Threading.Thread.Start()

at AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain.Classes.ApplicationLaunchedQueueProcessor.initiateApplicationLaunchedThread()

at AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain.Classes.ApplicationLaunchWatcherClass.Start()

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain.ApplicationLaunchWatcher.Start()

at AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain.Classes.ApplicationLaunchWatcherHolder.InitWatcher()

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.init()

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.239 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

AlienwareAlienFXController

Assembly Version: 2.6.17.0

Win32 Version: 2.6.17.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Alienware/Command%20Center/AlienwareAlienFXController.exe

AlienwareAlienFXTools

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienwareAlienFXTools/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienwareAlienFXTools.dll

Alienlabs.CommandCenter.Tools

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Alienlabs.CommandCenter.Tools/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/Alienlabs.CommandCenter.Tools.dll

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.235 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.236 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

AlienLabsTools

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabsTools/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabsTools.dll

System.Configuration

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

WindowsBase

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll

PresentationFramework

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/PresentationFramework/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationFramework.dll

PresentationCore

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll

System.Management

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll

AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.dll

AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.dll

AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.Core/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.Core.dll

AlienFX.Communication

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.dll

System.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

AlienFX.Communication.XPS

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.XPS/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.XPS.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x522

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x522/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x522.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x521

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x521/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x521.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x520

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x520/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x520.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x518

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x518/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x518.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x516

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x516/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x516.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x515

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x515/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x515.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x514

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x514/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x514.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x513

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x513/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x513.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x512

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x512/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x512.dll

AlienFX.Communication.PID0x511

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x511/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.PID0x511.dll

System.Runtime.Remoting

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.PID0x513

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.PID0x513/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabs.MasterIOBoard.Communication.PID0x513.dll

AlienFX.Communication.Core

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienFX.Communication.Core/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienFX.Communication.Core.dll

LightFX

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/LightFX/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/LightFX.dll

AlienwareAlienFXModelResources

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienwareAlienFXModelResources/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienwareAlienFXModelResources.dll

wfk03ozr

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Xaml

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xaml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xaml.dll

2gnegfyk

AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain/v4.0_2.6.17.0__bebb3c8816410241/AlienLabs.CommandCenter.RemotingService.Domain.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.