Steps to install windows 7 on Raid 0 ssd

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Steps to install windows 7 on Raid 0 ssd

This question is answered

So I am not happy with my windows performance evaluation being dragged down by the hdd that came with my aurora, so I went out and bought two Intel ssds and I plan to make them my os drive in a raid 0 config.

At this point I dont really care about starting fresh, but I am still new to the world of pcs and have been getting conflicting information when searching the web on how to pull this off. 

If anyone has some good input I would appreciate it. As I understand it I can just pull out my current os drive, install the 2 ssds, then go into the bios and enable raid 0. Restart and install windows 7...Right? Seems to easy.

Some people say that raid drivers for windows will need to be loaded on a usb stick and then loaded during installation, but others say there is no need? And will I be prompted to do so if necessary? Also there are Intel drivers that will allow the ssd raid to support trim, but I am unsure wether the alienware will support this, and when is the best time to install these drivers?

Verified Answer
  • It is actually as easy as you stated. Trim is not supported when you have a raid 0 configuration, at least not yet.

You could make an image of your windows configuration and copy it to your raid after installation. I would use Acronis True Image Home 2010.

As far as the drivers go, I installed windows 7 x64 without the drivers before hand and installed the drivers afters afterward just fine. Not a big deal as far as I know and it is easily done either way.

Good luck!

All Replies
  • It is actually as easy as you stated. Trim is not supported when you have a raid 0 configuration, at least not yet.

You could make an image of your windows configuration and copy it to your raid after installation. I would use Acronis True Image Home 2010.

As far as the drivers go, I installed windows 7 x64 without the drivers before hand and installed the drivers afters afterward just fine. Not a big deal as far as I know and it is easily done either way.

Good luck!

• Thanks for the response. I found this info about the trim function with raid 0. 

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/03/23/intel-releases-trim-for-raid/1

It appears that you can use Raid 0 if your computer has an Intel chipset, and I assume the Aurora does??