Recovery Partition

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Recovery Partition

This question is not answered

I have an Alienware Aurora and would like to get my system back to how it was when I first recieved it. From my understanding using the Recovery Partition is the best way to do this. How do I go about doing this and will all my drivers be installed for the lights etc.?

All Replies
  • 1. Turn on the computer.

2. When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold and then press . Then, release both keys at the same time.

3. In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4. When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
    The system recovery process was successful.

5. Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

• I disagree, I would not use the recovery partition, instead (backup everything) and re-install from the re installation disks, F12 at start up select dvd drive then install, custom, delete partitions how you like, or just delete everything. then click next.  after install resource cd will put drivers on the pc, I suggest you update them from the dell/alienware website.

• cornerstone31 is correct, but I dont recommend it for a novice.  He will have to configure some applications, drivers, and settings.  If he is not comfortable with a manual install, the recovery partition will get him back to the way it was when he took it out of the box.

• Hi Yodamaster.

If what you want is to do a PC restore (using image by Dell), Click link below for your OS:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=80615E4113C1A1EEE040AC0A66E95D15&docid=361935&type=force&lx=181316&lv=336966&l7=362066

Remember to back up all your files, pictures, movies, E-mails (if using a third mail app), and installers.

You will have to upgrade your security program since the one that came with the PC may be outdated. All MS updates will have to be installed again and any driver from DeLL´s Drivers & Downloads that you upgraded after you got your Aurora. The BIOS and firmwares stay in your hardware so there is no need to install again.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF29

Avast!Free 9.0.2018. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• UpsetXPS730

1. Turn on the computer.

2. When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold and then press . Then, release both keys at the same time.

3. In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4. When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
    The system recovery process was successful.

5. Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.

The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

Sorry...but press on hold wat button?

• Thanks for your help guys. I called Alienware that night and they were able to help me. I beleive it was f8 or f10. Then go to system restore, fill out the language and keyboard option, then go all the way to the bottom and pick Dell Data safe. Theres a ghost image in there of how your computer was when you first bought it.

• @ spoonFit.

SpoonFit

Sorry...but press on hold wat button?

It depends on your OS. If it is XP, you press-hold Ctrl+F11 after the Dell logo disappears and a blue bar at the top of the screen shows up. if it is Vista or W7, you press F8 at the DeLL logo and in Advance Boot Option choose Repair Your Computer, specify your language and log as an user with administrative rights. Click OK and choose DeLL Factory Image Restore.

Or use the link I provided in a post above and choose your OS.

Hope it helps.

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF29

Avast!Free 9.0.2018. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• what keys in your second step do i hold?