Where do I get the Serial ATA controller driver

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Where do I get the Serial ATA controller driver

This question is not answered

Aurora i7 920, Win 7 64

I did a clean install of Windows and have got everything working again except for the SATA controller driver for the eSATA port on the back and the single interior port. The device manager shows that there is no driver installed for them. The six standard SATA ports for internal drives are working fine.

I will add that those two ports worked from the factory. I had external drives connected via eSATA.

I've looked at the stuff on the resource disc and on the Dell download page for my service tag and nothing jumps out at me. It seems the SATA drives section is for RAID configurations which I'm not using. Anyone know what I need to install?

All Replies
  • Go to the Aurora driver page, choose Windows 7 64-bit.  Install these one at a time rebooting between each one -
    Intel Chipset Software
    Matrox Storage Manager
    Rapid Storage Technology Driver
    Rapid Storage Technology Application

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• Thanks so much Chris.

• I installed these the way you mentioned but when I got to the Rapid Storage Tech driver nothing happened after it unpacked so I went to the folder it went to and there is no setup or exe file. In device manager the sata controller is still missing the driver. I directed it to the folder that I had unpacked to and it didn't find a driver. I installed the Rapid Storage Tech application and rebooted but the sata controller still does not have a driver. Any suggestions?

• I figured it out.

I needed the Silicon Image SiI 3132 Sata Controller Driver that I could not find any mention of on the website. It also did not appear on the resource disc program page but I searched for sii3132 on the disc itself and found it under x64 directory in folder R235001. Go figure. I don't know what other installation was supposed to instal this but I've got it figured out now.

As an aside, that Intel Rapid Storage Technology app I installed thinking it would solve this problem caused me a BSOD. No text, no nothing but a blue screen when I clicked on the RST tray icon and then on prefs.

• Thank you Rubberchips!

The Silicon Image SiI 3132 Sata Controller Driver is what is really needed on my Alienware Aurora R00 model as well.

The crap here below  was useless:

Intel Chipset Software
    Matrox Storage Manager

Vince

• inVinnieVeritas

Thank you Rubberchips!

The Silicon Image SiI 3132 Sata Controller Driver is what is really needed on my Alienware Aurora R00 model as well.

The crap here below  was useless:

Intel Chipset Software
    Matrox Storage Manager

Vince

Those are far from useless. I know for what you were looking for they are but they are still needed regardless. That is what controls your RAID and AHCI hard drives. You have two chocies. You can use the 7 year old driver Windows installs or the intel driver that's only a few months old.

The RST driver on the Dell site is also very old but it's newer then the windows driver. If you use RST go to the intel site. I happen to use intel SSD's in RAID so I use the intel RST along with the intel SSD toolbox for added function and optimizations.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder