Alienware M14xR2 shuts off when unplugged from the charger?!

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M14xR2 shuts off when unplugged from the charger?!

This question is not answered

I got my M14xr2 a couple hours ago and later on my Alienware keeps shutting off when I unplugged the charger because I saw that my battery was full while browsing the internet. When I plug my charger back in it can turn on. I was looking for a solution and found that I had to update my BIOS, so I did what the instructions said and it did something to the computer like change my battery settings back to Balanced. But that didn't solve my problem because it still shuts off when unplugged from the charger. Is there a way to fix this?

All Replies
  • Also when I turn it back on it says that my battery is disabled so I don't want to kill my battery if I can't fix it.

• Hello AlvinW,

Try Fn+F2 this enable or disable the battery if this doesn't work.

Access BIOS, go to the advance tab and check for the Battery Health.

Reset the battery

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

• My m14xr2 is a little over 1 month old and already Dell have replaced the mainboard and the battery for this same issue and its still not resolved. Their only answer is to replace the mainboard and battery again. This of course is a distraction to take you past the 21 day return point.  Simply demand a return for a full refund.

Customer service is non-existent and despite my threats to uphold UK stature under the sale of goods act, they seem reluctant to communicate.

My next step is to obtain legal advice as this product seems to have a manufacturing flaw which AW/Dell are trying to ignore.

<*EDIT*>

I've been admonished for my original post apparently violating the terms of the forum for apparently soliciting users to <removed> their equipment for a <removed> So without prejudice, you are free and able to explore any options under your in country sale of goods act. Of course you are also entirely free to disregard this post, so this cant possibly be seen as soliciting in any way other than a reminder of your legal rights as a consumer

After checking again the forum terms and conditions this revised post does not contravene any of the rules and can not in any way be constituted as soliciting activity of any kind.

Just another example of the draconian and illogical response to customer complaints by Dell.  Good luck with your upcoming buyout, I know I for one certainly wont be renewing any of my business contracts with you. (Yes some of us AW customers are responsible for the desktops/laptops and server budgets in our businesses)

<*EDIT*>

• Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!! My M14xr2 doesn't have this problem anymore!

• Welcome, thanks for getting back and let us know about the status of the system.

Karen M.
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
    YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
    If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's