touchpad issue please help

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

touchpad issue please help

• Okay for some reason i when i disable my touchpad to use a usb mouse because the touchpad gets in my way when i use the keyboard for gaming. Once i unplug my mouse the touchpad is still disabled. i have already uninstalled/reinstall the driver and even tried updating it. So far no luck and i cant find anyone else who is experiencing the same issue. if someone could reply to this asap because i have a Dell tech coming to put my laptop back together correctly for the 3rd time now...so i can call Dell support and have them update the scope of work for the tech.

Alienware M17x R3 Soft-Touch, Stealth Black
    i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    1.5GB GDDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M
    Alienware M11x R2 Two Tone Soft-Touch Nebula Red/Stealth Black
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
    1 GB Nvida GeForce GT 335M
  • Have you tried going into device manager and enabling it?

M18X  |  Dual 2 gigabyte Nvidia GTX 580M video cards  |  16 gigs of Kingston 1866 mhz ram running @ 2133 mhz  |  Intel I7 2960XM (4.5 Ghz with TurboBoost)  |  Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit  |  1tb Raid (2X500Gb) 7200 rpm Seagate Solid State Hybid hard drives  |  Blue-Ray DVD Player with Roxio 2011 burner  |  Killer Wireless Network card  |  Sound Blaster X-FI Hi Def Audio  |  Bluetooth 3.0  |  Internal 60Ghz HD Transmitter

• yes i have tried from the device manager and from alientouch... :(

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
  • What kind of mouse do you have? Some mice interfer with the touchpad drivers for some reason on models from various brands. Try to uninstall the drivers for your touchpad and your mouse, then install the mouse drivers first. If it comes without drivers, let windows auto install drivers when you connect the mouse. When you're done with that, try to install the touchpad drivers. If you still have problems, please let me know! :)

• i have a Logitech G9x and i will try that and see if that works. thanks for the quick response!!

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
  • No problem! Please keep me updated ;)

• no luck... i uninstalled all the drivers for the mouse/touchpad and reinstalled them in the order you recommended. Still not working...also my shortcut panel on the upper right hand corner doesn't always respond after i boot up. i want to say 4 out of 5 boot ups and it wont work for the first 10-15mins...i am going to call dell tomorrow about that but i was wondering if you ran into that issue. id really hate to send it off to dell for the 4th time and ive only had it since the February of this year. :( let me know if there is anything else i should try...

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
  • Have you updated the Alienware Command Centre and AlienTouch?

• yes, i have tried updating both...could it be a motherboards issue or do you think its software? i wouldn't really have to hate to do a complete wipe of my HD then starting from scratch...i was planning on doing that when i got my ssd drive.

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
  • It's most likely software as I've seen similar problems with certain mice and certain drivers for touchpads. I've also had a similar issue, but that vanished after I re-installed the drivers. Too bad this doesn't work for you : /

Have you updated the drivers for your motherboard? If not, try doing that before you install the drivers in the given order. Aslo: check if you've installed the mouse drivers the correct way. Some peripherals crave that you plug them in during a certain step or after you've installed the drivers to work properly.

• okay i will try that...now one of my co-workers who an IT guy said it might be the alienware command center. should i tried reinstall that application? after i try uninstalling and reinstalling the other drivers. I have tried to update all my drivers  through the device manager.  should i do a little bit of digging to make sure i have the current drivers or will using device manager be sufficient? also i have a m11x r2 that doesn't have that issue so i know it has to be a software issue...

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
  • Yes, try to do that after you've installed the other drivers and tested them :)

• well i cant get it to work...oh well i will call dell about it tomorrow and see what they can do for me. thanks for your help!!

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory
  • I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get the help you need there! :)

• yea i spoke to dell and they told me that after i  try reinstalling my o.s. and drivers...if i am still having problems they will have to replace whatever hardware that may be causing the issue. So once i get my ssd drive i am going to do a complete wipe and install of my o.s. Hopefully that will solve my issue if not i woudlnt mind a new motherboard... :) i have already had a hmdi in port, screen and palmrest/keyboard/keyboard frame replaced...i think they would be better off sending me a whole new laptop...even tho i know they wont.

i7 2670QM
    8GB Memory
    i7 680U
    8GB Memory