Re-install DVD on Alienware Aurora R-4

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Re-install DVD on Alienware Aurora R-4

• rstear

I was supplied a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit CD with my system.  I hope you're not suggesting a complete reinstall.

If you want to capture or image the whole system, as it is now ... a program like Acronis will do that. Even Windows has built-in imaging backup now, but it's not "bare metal restore capable" ... you have to re-install Windows (and basic drivers) real quick first.

If the system ever crashes, you can re-image it back to how it is now.

Or, you can clean or complete re-install with the Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit DVD, and then the specific drivers from support.dell.com .

... then re-insert your backed up data files.

Alienware Aurora ~ Intel i7-930 ~ 12gb ram ~ AMD HD-5870
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD / 1tb HDD ~ LG Blu-Ray ~ USB 3.0 PCIe
    Dell 24" UltraSharp u2410 LCD ~ Dell 22" LCD

All my Dell Machines and Specs

Wiki-like Threads I've written and other Favorites

Posting Tips:
    - Always provide machine make, model, specs and software versions.
    - Click the button if we answered your question.

Registered Microsoft Partner
    & Apple Developer:

Gaming when I'm not programming.

I answer questions here, but
    I'm not a Dell employee.

• Sort lof a big load to take on having paid for a 3 year warrenty :-(  Even if I do reinstall win7, won't there still be no Windows Recovery Environment?  The Recovery partition is there, the properties giive it 749mb capacity with 210 used.  That seems odd but I think that is all raw data.  I'll get in touch with support and see what's my best path.  Thanks for your suggestions.  As to other backup options, I do have them as you note.  I had other options on the computer purchase too but chose this one from Dell.  I hope to get this backup working as designed.

• Please don't misunderstand my previous post.  There are more certain things in life besides death and taxes.  One other being that if one has a warrenty on a Dell computer and calls in for support, one must be able to restore that computer to factory fresh before there can be any serious discussions about failing hardware.  I've read, understand, and approve of your preferred procedure for reinstall but with a three year warrenty, no matter how I choose to reinstall, I must be able to do the 'factory restore'.

• Ok, they did send me a Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit CD and a resource DVD so I should be good. I just can't make a recovery disk like they said I could but I can re-install windows7 if I need to ...................

Alienware Aurora - R4

Intel Core i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB) Overclocked up to 3.9Ghz

Single Card: 1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Thanks........... Compnut

• Hi, the Aurora R4 system is running under a boot mode named UEFI; right now AlienRespawn is not supported under UEFI. So to get AlienRespawn in to your computer you will have to reinstall using another boot mode (AHCI or RAID). This would be only until we can release a UEFI compatible AlienRespawn version

Alienware Lizano
    Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
    Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
    I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo