Alienware X51 blue screens, please help

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware X51 blue screens, please help

This question is not answered

I just received my Alienware X51 with GTX555. I keep getting bluescreens, 3 of them so far. The screen freezes up and sound starts repeating and is distorted. Sometimes i hear a short distortion and assume its going to crash again, but it goes away.

Also the temperatue runs around 70 Celsius when gaming with dual monitors connected.

Any help to fix my problems would be greatly appreciated

Here are the blue screens:

All Replies
  • Try running the free version of WhoCrashed. WhoCrashed will analyze the crash dump files available on your computer and create a conclusion. It will inform you about responsible drivers and offer suggestions on how to proceed. I ran it on my system but did not have any dump files to analyze.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• DELL-Chris M

Try running the free version of WhoCrashed. WhoCrashed will analyze the crash dump files available on your computer and create a conclusion. It will inform you about responsible drivers and offer suggestions on how to proceed. I ran it on my system but did not have any dump files to analyze.

Unfortunately, all it identifies is the fact that it's the driver.  I've called tech support twice and will have to do so again wasting hours of time uninstalling, reinstalling drivers to no avail.  opening the box pulling out the GPU, rearranging cables, reassembling to no avail.  A brand new computer (top of the line X51 w/ the GTX 555) simply should not be doing this.  What poor quality control on Dell / Alienware's part.  just type in X51 Blue Screen and you can clearly see a lot of folks are having this problem.  I don't know what DELL / Alienware is going to do about this problem.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050712-23946-01.dmp
    This was probably
    caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xC3BAE4)
    Bugcheck code:
    0x116 (0xFFFFFA800AA4E0E0, 0xFFFFF8800FCA2AE4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A,
    0x4)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path:
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.66

company: NVIDIA
    Corporation

description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver,
    Version 285.66
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to
    reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party
    driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is
    suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA
    Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.66 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google
    query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

• @tomgunn711

This issue has been solved !!!!

All you have to do is install the Nvidia Beta driver is not  a Dell issue,  is an Nvidia issue no one has that problem with AMD cards on the x51

X51/i7-3770GTX670 Phantom-The Shadowy Beast/ 8GB1600 MHz DDR3/ Intel SSD 160GB/ Momentus XT 500GB/Blu-Ray/Samsung Galaxy S3

• it has not been solved.  I have had new drivers installed twice by two different Alienware techs via remote control. 

This is most certainly a Dell issue as I order this computer brand new from Dell and did not modify it in any way.  The problem is from a new computer.

• @tomgunn711

1. AO2 Bios

2. 301.24 BETA Nvidia drivers

Regards,

Ps  If that don't fix your issue, contact DELL support you be looking for hardware issue good luck!! Smile

X51/i7-3770GTX670 Phantom-The Shadowy Beast/ 8GB1600 MHz DDR3/ Intel SSD 160GB/ Momentus XT 500GB/Blu-Ray/Samsung Galaxy S3

• solrac135

@tomgunn711

1. AO2 Bios

2. 301.24 BETA Nvidia drivers

Regards,

Ps  If that don't fix your issue, contact DELL support you be looking for hardware issue good luck!! Smile

Just to add that when you do step 2 make sure you do a full clean of the old drivers with CCleaner before installing the new ones. Uninstall the drivers, run CCleaner and do the reg cleaner part. Reboot and then install the drivers direct from Nvidia. There is a very good chance that a clean driver install will fix it for you so don't give up to fast. Read the FAQ at the top of the forums for more help.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/20102312/reply.aspx?tsid=62dd5434-cff4-4726-8a01-802b19d7168d

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• I notice the A03 BIOS update is now available.  Is it reccomended to upgrade to this and then install the 301.24 BETA drivers?

I am having the same issue as the OP, and wondered if the A03 update would change the effectiveness of the BETA driver.

Thanks.

• I think the 03 bios is for the new CPUs that are now available on the x51,  so as we don't know I think stay on 02 and do the beta driver update good luck !

• SOLRAC135,

Thanks for the advice... after many attempts to solve the BSD via support - I think I'm okay now.  Here's what we did:

1. AO2 bios

2. 295.73 Nvidia driver (I think at least 3 different driver replacements were attempted)

3. physically removed the GPU card, replaced (the power cord was already in the correct retaining clip)  - note that it still crashed upon only doing this so I don't think this did anything.

4. had external power adapter replaced

5. in the Nvidia control panel, under 3D acceleration, set graphics acceleration to integrated graphics for Firefox

6. Ceased to use Firefox - this may be the most important action I took.

I have no idea which of the above actions worked, but at least it hasn't crashed yet.  Ridiculous that all this time was wasted for a new $1150 computer.  Cheers.  

• @Tomgunn711

My pleasure Smile

I am glad your night mere is over now, the one that did it is 301.24 BETA Nvidia driver !!!! Wink

• naah... I'm on the 295.73 Nvidia driver.  I'm fairly certain it's the Firefox fix (either don't use or change to integrated graphics for it)

• Well  keep this one in your pocket >> 301.24 BETA <<  sooner or later you will  may need it !!!!

Cheers

• Glad I found this post bought a slightly used x51 i7/2660 8GB Ram BD/DVD GTX555 fresh install of Windows 7 getting bsod with the Dell drivers from the website...has the a14 bios update.....tried the latest nvidia drivers 332.21 and dell driver 331.82 (as of this entry) only thing that has resolved the bsod was going to the nvidia 301.24 BETA...can't believe this is still an ongoing issue....although I am glad the problem has gone away, not to thrilled I have an old driver. The primary reason I bought this unit was to use in my TV room best unit in such a small foot print not as my primary gaming rig. 301.24 BETA seems stable games played back fine haven't done a whole bunch of gaming this unit was just to compliment my entertainment center so I wasn't expecting a whole lot but if it stays stable like it is now I am happy. I hope to at some point get a current working driver....owning a pc is all about staying updated and current after all. Thanks for the post was getting tired of pulling out my hair for the last few days!!!!