Alienware X51 Fan Noise?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware X51 Fan Noise?

• I haven't had any problems in terms of loud fan noise. The fans get a bit louder when playing a game but that's expected :). My system, however, has a constant faint 'squeak' or high pitched noise. I am thinking it may be the fan, but haven't had the chance to open it up yet. Thought I'd ask here first. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks :D
  • I have the same problem... not sure if it's a fan or not, but it IS annoying.  Could be a capacitor or something too.

Have you contacted support about it yet?

• Incidentally, I replaced my Seagate HDD with an OCZ Vertex3 SSD, it's definitely NOT the HDD.

• Here are a couple of analyzer shots that I took with my iPhone for illustrative purposes.  There is a noticeable spike around 13.5 - 13.7 kHz.

• SirVeloz, did you clone the original drive that came with the x51, or did you just reinstall everything?

• EnjoyLife

SirVeloz, did you clone the original drive that came with the x51, or did you just reinstall everything?

I did a complete re-install as recommended here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdd

• SirVeloz, what Alienware programs did you install after installing Windows 7?  Did you have any issues?

• EnjoyLife

SirVeloz, what Alienware programs did you install after installing Windows 7?  Did you have any issues?

I don't mind responding to your questions in a PM, but let's keep this thread about the noise issue with the X51s, please.

• Post a video on youtube so we can hear the noise.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

• Not sure if you'll be able to hear it or not, but here goes:

• I could hear the noise in your video and it's exactly the same noise that mine is making from the same location (near the top). I am somewhat tech savvy when it comes to computers, but I am not sure I trust myself enough to open it up and start tinkering around with the components. If anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of the noise or perhaps covering it up I would be very grateful.

• I too am experiencing the same high pitched noise that SirVeloz demonstrated in his video. It seems to be comping from the top of the tower if you have it standing up and down.

• All,

Thanks for bring this noise issue to our attention. It is currently under investigation. Until I give you the word, do not initiate any parts replacements for this issue since the parts sent out may not fix the issue.

• * Power the X51 off
    * Lay it down horizontally
    * Open the system cover
    * Power the X51 on
    * If you hear the noise, while the X51 is running, ground yourself and disconnect the CPU fan
    * Does the noise stop when the CPU fan is disconnected?
    * When done, reconnect the CPU fan and close the case up

• Chris, I have done as you instructed. It is definitely the CPU fan noise. How to fix please!?