Alienware X51 Fan Noise?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware X51 Fan Noise?

• I haven't had any problems in terms of loud fan noise. The fans get a bit louder when playing a game but that's expected :). My system, however, has a constant faint 'squeak' or high pitched noise. I am thinking it may be the fan, but haven't had the chance to open it up yet. Thought I'd ask here first. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks :D
  • I have the same problem... not sure if it's a fan or not, but it IS annoying.  Could be a capacitor or something too.

Have you contacted support about it yet?

• Incidentally, I replaced my Seagate HDD with an OCZ Vertex3 SSD, it's definitely NOT the HDD.

• Here are a couple of analyzer shots that I took with my iPhone for illustrative purposes.  There is a noticeable spike around 13.5 - 13.7 kHz.

• SirVeloz, did you clone the original drive that came with the x51, or did you just reinstall everything?

• EnjoyLife

SirVeloz, did you clone the original drive that came with the x51, or did you just reinstall everything?

I did a complete re-install as recommended here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdd

• SirVeloz, what Alienware programs did you install after installing Windows 7?  Did you have any issues?

• EnjoyLife

SirVeloz, what Alienware programs did you install after installing Windows 7?  Did you have any issues?

I don't mind responding to your questions in a PM, but let's keep this thread about the noise issue with the X51s, please.

• Post a video on youtube so we can hear the noise.

Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors
    Social Media Support
    #IWork4Dell
    Dell Support Videos 
    Drivers and Downloads

• Not sure if you'll be able to hear it or not, but here goes: