Alienware M17x R3 Graphic Card Issue (GTX580M)

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Alienware M17x R3 Graphic Card Issue (GTX580M)

• Hello all!

I have recently been having some trouble with my M17x R3 laptop. I have had this laptop for six months without any problems until about a month ago. I was playing a game using my laptops GTX580m graphics card when it suddenly and for the first time bluescreened on me! The computer had a bugcheck code of Ox116

After letting the computer restart I launched the same game and it did not crash again the whole night. For about two weeks after the first crash no other crashes occured and i thought it was just a random thing but beginning about two weeks ago my laptop has started crashing more and more frequently. The crashing has also spread from only that game to every game that I own! These games range from StarCraft II and other new games to Older games which require little resources to run. Sad

I have noticed though that my laptop will only crash when I run games on the GTX580m card. It will run games fine on the Intel HD 3000 integrated card. The crashes are random and can happen after 2 hours of gaming or right at the games welcome screen. 

I have called Dell/Alienware Tech support at least 4 times and they have not found the cause of the problem or a solution to fix it. Some things they have tried are:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the GTX580m (They used a program to remove all traces of the old drivers)

2. Running tests on my processor, memory, and RAM

3. Reinstalling the operating system ( I thought that would fix it but alas...)

Now I have made no modifications to my system or overclocked my graphics card and have never opened it up so I have no idea what could be the cause of the problem but I would love some help in solving the issue and some opinions of what steps to take!

Thanks so much!

MJ134 

• Do you get the video timeout pop-up with it? If you're still under warranty then have Dell replace the GPU. Power issue can cause it too but that takes a mobo replacment. Let them try the GPU first before getting into that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• MJ134,

Download and install the GTX580m vbios. Restart the PC when done and retest the games.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• Morblore: Thank you for the idea (I kinda thought it might be the card)! I don't think i got a pop up with the crash. All that i can see is that the screen will freeze and the sound will start repeating and then it will crash 2-4 seconds later. To get a replacement graphics card do I have to call Alienware Tech support again? I've gone through the same steps every time and not once have they offered to replace anything.

Chris M: Thank you for replying! I will install the vbios tomorrow and report back! Should I save any certain files in case something goes wrong during installation? Are there any steps I should take before installing this? (Don't want to finish with a PC more broken then it already is!)

• The installation instructions do not mention saving anything. If the vbios fails to complete, we would simply replace the video card.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• Thank you for your help Chris! I'll install it soon and report back!

• Well I went through the install and it did nothing to the problem so I gave in and called Dell a 5th time. Luckily they finally agreed to replace my video card and sent a motherboard just in case the video replacement doesn't fix the problem. Gonna cross my fingers and report back after the tech comes. Thanks for the help Chris and morblore!