m11x hinge issues?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

m11x hinge issues?

• and actually I agree with Chris on that one... as soon as you unplug any laptop it instantly loses so much of it's power... but with downgraded settings and such games still look and play decent enough on battery.. especially with the M11x...

• I got an aurora and did not get a hat either :(

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

• Jesse. Your endless and often pointless ranting and raving doesn't really do anyone here any good and obscures any posts you do make that have valid points. Give it a rest. Really.

• C_ronic

Quote from Chris M. "* All gaming should be done with the AC adapter plugged in". My response "So much for gaming on the go", his retort "Give me a break. Only a noob would play a high end game on battery only."

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19362217.aspx?PageIndex=1

Seems like the battery life does not really matter if you want to play games according to ol' Chris.

Thanks for the links.  It seems your hobby is to bash the M11x for whatever reason.  If you don't like it, that's fine, we all are different in what we want.

I generally use my M11x plugged in.  But's nice to have the option to take something with me that has some portability AND power.  While I agree you won't get the kind of battery life with gaming, mine seems to run fine in either graphics mode unplugged, noob or no.   If you like to lug something heavier, knock yourself out.

• i just saw this thread today and i am shocked. i bought an alienware m11x a month ago. before i bought it, i talked to Desiree P on the dell chat thing and she ASSURED me that the hinges on the m11x are FIXED and i wouldnt have any problem with it. after many hours of consideration, i went for it and bought the laptop. so far, everything is going great. the hinges are fine but what if it breaks after the warranty is over? i bought the laptop knowing that the hinges problem are solved and i wouldnt have to worry about it. now im worried. isnt messed up to say that its fixed just to convinced you to buy it and then say its not fixed after u bought it.

if my hinges breaks before the warrant, is it possible for me to just return the laptop and get all my money back? id rather have my money back than have it fixed and then break again when the warranty is over. replacing the broken hinges with a new hinges is useless. i know for sure it would be just a temporary fix because the problem is the hinges and putting new but the same hinges as a replacement isnt really gonna solve it. its just removing the result of the problem not solving the problem itself.

its ridiculous that i spent more than 1300 dollars on a laptop that will eventually break. im starting to think that buying it was a bad idea since from the start. SHAME ON YOU FOR TRICKING ME.

• I would advise you to return it. But thats just me.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

• Vegas771
     It seems your hobby is to bash the M11x for whatever reason.  If you don't like it, that's fine, we all are different in what we want.

Obviously your not getting the point.  Im giving valid points that are in most cases fact. Im trying to help people make informed decisions. You say we are all different in what we want yet you accuse me of bashing this laptop. I'm not trying to do that at all. Im just saying for some people there is more than one reason not to buy this laptop even the though the hinge issue is bad enough. Its constructive criticism and I said some positive things too.

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

• We apologize for this process taking so long. We have an ETA around March for when the M11x-R1/R2 Hinge fix program will be started. The start date range hinges is dependent on a 3rd party vendor and other details so it is not concrete. When it does begin, all who have the hinge defect will get it repaired regardless of the warranty end date. We know that you deserve the re-designed Hinge and we will make it happen.

Updated on 12/26/12 -

The blog data and my old posting are not current. The current Dell policy dictates that we will fix the out of warranty M11x hinges up to one year past the original warranty end date. If the service tag warranty data show that the M11x is outside of this one year grace period, you will have to purchase the parts and have a local technician do the work. If the tag shows you are inside of the one year grace period, contact Dell Technical Support for your region.

(Liaison for Desktops, Alienware, Monitors)
    Quick link for Manuals and Drivers

• That's definitely some good news.  Thanks for the update, Chris.

• ADHurt

While I wish this didn't happen and wasn't the case, I was able to contact tech support this morning.  I have to say that the experience was very good and I appreciated the fact that tech support didn't waste time in getting a replacement setup.  The Alienware service was excellent.

I'll report back as soon as it's replaced.

-Aaron

Just thought I'd drop in and give an updated.  While my replacement has been ordered, I received an automated phone call today informing me that the part has been back ordered and I will receive a call when it becomes available.  I called the number that was given to me by the automated call, and asked if there was a time table and was told that there was no known delivery date.  When I pressed further, I was told it could be as long at two months.

I will update again when (if) the status changes.

-Aaron

• C_ronic

Quote from Chris M. "* All gaming should be done with the AC adapter plugged in". My response "So much for gaming on the go", his retort "Give me a break. Only a noob would play a high end game on battery only."

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19362217.aspx?PageIndex=1

Seems like the battery life does not really matter if you want to play games according to ol' Chris.

Hmm, I played TeamFortress2 for three hours last night on battery. Not sure what the issue is.

-Aaron

• Facebook Page for Hinge Issues

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_149452385110247

Dacook

• Chris,

Will this be a fix based on an M11x recall or based on individual service/warranty requests?

Can you give any info on the current back order of replacement parts?

• Just a guess, but I think the "back order" of parts is to hold people off until the hinge fix program takes effect.

Why waste the effort fixing the same laptops twice.

I asked the rep the other night "if you're using refurbished parts to repair the laptops, how can you be out of replacement parts? Are you just waiting for more broken parts to filter into the system?"

The 7 seconds of silence before she babbled an answer of "we're just out of them" was priceless. Stick out tongue

• tvtripper

The 7 seconds of silence before she babbled an answer of "we're just out of them" was priceless. Stick out tongue

+1 for Epic answer!

Honestly, I'd rather them take care of my hinge with the new design/part/etc than have to do it twice.

I can feel everyone else pain who has dealt with this before me and sometimes multiple times.  Yet, I am happy with the service levels I have received so far and appreciate the prompt responses I received from Alienware.  Admittedly, many of you have been dealing with this since early last year. 

-Aaron