Aurora -- Force IDE Mode?

Alienware Club

Alienware Club
Share your Alienware experiences and join in the conversation with other Alienware users.

Aurora -- Force IDE Mode?

This question is not answered

I have an Aurora to which I've added an OCZ Vertex SSD and reconfigured the system so that it is the boot drive.

OCZ has released new firmware, but to flash the drive, you have to put it in IDE mode.  In AHCI, the drive will not be recognized.

Problem is...I cannot find an IDE mode option in the Aurora BIOS (A04).  The only options are AHCI and RAID.  Neither of which allow the device to be seen by the OCZ flash software.

Is there a way to force IDE mode in the BIOS that I am just missing?

All Replies
  • When you access the bios and select the drive, is there an option for AHCI or Compatable?  I think if you hit compatable it is 'like' IDE mode, although i'm not sure why OCZ would need that if its a SATA configured drive since IDE is just a different cable and speed format.. Most newer motherboards do not have IDE slots anymore so technically there would be no reason to have an IDE mode......

• When you select the drive, the only options are to enable or disable it.

AHCI and IDE are different command sets.  AHCI is specific to the SATA standard, but any SATA drive can also "downgrade" to use IDE commands.  OCZ has chosen to use the IDE command set to flash their drives in order to ensure maximum stability during the flashing process, but the irony is that it doesn't look like the Aurora BIOS permits you to force the mode.

• I know the XPS 730x and the Area 51 does not have the IDE mode. You need to put the drive in another computer,do the firmware update and then put in back into the Alienware. I hade to do the same thing...twice.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
    Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

• If you change the controller mode you will lose access to the current drive and will have to reload the OS. Changing the control mode should only be done upon installation of a OS

HomeBuilt SandyBridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 ghz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
    Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 7 Pro

Forum member since 2003

• Only if you attempt to boot into Windows, do you lose access to the drive (and only then if you do not make a registry change to cause Windows to switch from AHCI to IDE drivers)

The firmware in this case is a bootable Linux CD, so it doesn't matter if you switch from AHCI to IDE.

Except...it appears you can't...as the other poster confirmed my suspicion.  I will need to pull the drive tomorrow and put it in my Dell laptop to update the firmware.