ROTATE NEW LCD MONITOR

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

ROTATE NEW LCD MONITOR

• I JUST BOUGHT A NEW 1901FP LCD MONITOR.  THIS MONITOR ROTATES.  I INITIALLY THOUGHT THE PURPOSE OF THAT WAS SO YOU CAN ROTATE WEB PAGES AND WORD DOCUMENTS IF THESE DOCUMENTS WERE LONGER THAN THEY WERE WIDER.  FOR EXAMPLE:  IF YOU WERE LOOKING AT A LONG LIST OF NAMES, BUT DELL SUPPORT TOLD ME BY PHONE THAT YOU CAN NOT ROTATE THE IMAGE ON THE SCREEN, JUST THE PHYSICAL MONITOR.  I REPLIED BY ASKING WHAT THE PURPOSE OF THAT WAS?  THAT'S LIKE ROTATING MY TV SET.  IF THE PICTURE DOESN'T ROTATE, WHY DO YOU  NEED THE MONITOR TO ROTATE?  THE ONLY PURPOSE COULD BE IS YOU ARE EMAILED A PICTURE AND THE PICTURE IS LANDSCAPED, BUT THAT IS EXTREMELY RARE.  DID I GET THE CORRECT INFORMATION FROM DELL SUPPORT?  I READ MESSAGES IN THE FORUM THAT PEOPLE ARE ROTATING WORD DOCUMENTS.  IS THE IMAGE ON THE SCREEN ROTATING?  IF NOT, YOU ARE READING THE WORDS SIDEWAYS??OTHER MESSAGES SAY YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR VIDEO DRIVER WITH THE DOWNLOADS ON THE DELL SITE, SO I TRIED THIS, BUT I GET THE SAME WARNING MESSAGE OTHER USERS HAVE THAT YOU CAN'T UPDATE THE DRIVERS BECAUSE IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP.  SOOOO----CAN DOCUMENTS (WORD OR WEB PAGES) BE ROTATED ON THE SCREEN??  

Message Edited by HENRY2HENRY2 on 10-18-2003 07:58 PM

• No, of course the Dell support representative was wrong. The image does rotate to portrait, but you need software to do it. You can download a free 30-day trial of Pivot software, or you can install the latest ATI Catalyst drivers (I use ATI Catalyst [Omega] 3.8 drivers) which have a Rotate feature and work fine with Windows XP

By the way, it's best not to use ALL CAPITALS in your posts, as it is hard to read and is thought of as shouting.

Bob N.

• Thanks for the info Robnich.

I never call computer support phone lines, but I always heard Dell was better than the rest for support.  I understand the support staff  may not know everything especially if you have a difficult question, but the Dell rep was adamant that the image doesn't rotate.  How could she not know this?  Surely, the monitor rotates for a reason.  

I have NVidia  64 MB GEForce4 MX 420, so I don't think I can use ATI.  Nevertheless, I'll keep searching for the software to rotate now that I know it is possible.

P.S.  You're right about the CAPS.  I'm just lazy about hitting the shift key. 

• Henry2

Those with Nvidia UDA are in luck

If you have XP O/S, any of the 4x.xx Nvidia drivers contain NVRotate. SImply update to that version and you have image rotation.

http://nvidia.com/object/feature_nvrotate.html

If you have Win9x or ME, use version 40.72, which has NVRotate.

Regards

Dell Latitude 6430 Ultrabook, E4300, E6500, D430

• Oh yes.....and great for looking a centerfolds!
  • I am having trouble configuring rotate with my new 1901FP. And of course support had not the slightest idea how to help. While one hold, I figured out the need for the newer Nvidia drivers... (I was supposing Dell had a utility to download.)

I have a Nvidia a Geforce 256. Dell XPS with PowerQuest T 1.2G processor. I have installed new drivers, trying both 44.03 and the newest 45.33, both of which have the NVRotate (supposedly). But I cannot find it/ or make it work.

I have installed the NView Desktop manager (which was not in the 44.03 install downloaded from Dell), and can find the rotate command under the Hotkeys selection. But it simply does nothing. I can assign all the other functions to hotkeys in Nview, and make them work. But rotate does not, trying all the rotate degree options.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks....
  • jd576-

Is your monitor connected with DVI or analog? I don't think you can rotate with the analog connection.

• Using Analog. NVidia page suggests the rotate function is supported for geforce 256 (which was never DVI).

How/where does one access the Rotate function in the driver setup?? Is in in NView, does it appear as a specific function??? Since I am not seeing it in my setup, I have no idea what I am missing....
  • Have you tried using the 'positioning' menu for the monitor itself. Check your CD user guide. It says: "Note: When using '2: Digital Input', the positioning adjustments are not available." This would seem to suggest that it can be done in anolog with the right driver. Mine is a DVI connection with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. My original driver did not have rotation capability, but the new driver I dowloaded included the NVIDIA Media Center- a user interface that includes rotation settings.

I remember reading a lot about this here when I first got my monitor. You might want to do a search using the word 'rotate' or 'rotate monitor' and see what you can find. Good luck!

• FYI, I have an ATI All in Wonder 9800 Pro card with 128 mb.  ATI's latest drivers, the 3.9 have discontinued support for the rotate feature.  I haven't had support for the feature anyway because Dell didn't originally sell me the All in Wonder card with the system.  What really gets me upset is Dell sells the monitor as having the ability to rotate, but they have no driver for rotation unless you use ATI's version and never update the drivers.  Now I guess I will have to purchase this ability from some other company, and this is not fair.  By the way , the 1901FP is a great monitor.  I love it, but Dell should have their own small program that comes with the monitor to allow the rotate.  Just look at all the confusion they have caused on all the forums with this one small problem.  DELL LISTEN and do something about this problem to keep your happy client base... this would be the smart thing to do.
  • You can easily enable the Rotation feature in the ATI Catalyst 3.9 drivers by making a single, simple change in a registry key using Regedit. Here's how:

Run Regedit and find the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies\Desktop\{D3BDE9EC-8D58-488D-9B6C-139D98F5C7E6}

The long name in the brackets { } at the end of the key name will be different on your computer, but it is easy to recognize. Single-click on this long name and you will then see a long list of entries in the right pane. On this list locate Rotation. You will see the binary 00 00 00 00 under Data. Double-click on Rotation and change the binary to 01 00 00 00. Close Regedit and now check the Display Properties/Settings/Advanced and you should now see the Rotation tab in the ATI Control Panel. For safety, you can back up your registry before doing this, but it is a pretty  simple and trouble-free procedure.

Bob N.

• Bob,  Thank you very much for the info.  I went into the registry, changed the setting, went into the ATI screen properties and it didn't work at first, it said my settings were not compatible.  I was set to 1280 x 1024, 70 hertz, 32 bit.  I changed the setting to 60 hertz, and bingo, it works perfectly.  I've been 2 months, back and forth with Dell and ATI, and both had no answer.  One minute with the forum, with the right question, the right person logging on, and the question is answered perfectly.  Thank you!  There are going to be a lot of people on the forum that will appreciate your answer!  By the way, I've read a lot on the forum about this monitor, lots of negatives, but it's mostly by people that just don't have a clue.  This is one nice monitor (1901FP) for the buck.  Dell puts together excellent products and packages, but sometimes they bother me because they are overly cautious about putting out a particular product such as my All in Wonder 9800 Pro card.  It kicks in the machine but they aren't offering it yet.  I guess they must be careful in all respects until they feel totally confident.  Again, thank you.
  • Pretender -

Very glad it worked for you. It's hard to understand why ATI chose to disable this feature and why they made it so hard to find the way to re-enable it, when the solution is so simple.

I agree about the 1901FP - I got mine from Dell for $486.75 and it is brilliantly sharp and clear with no dead or stuck pixels.It is definitely the best monitor I have ever had (or seen, for that matter.)

Cheers,

Bob N.

• Thanx for the great regedit tip, I have done it on my machine too. The trouble though is that it is very slow when I rotate my screen 90 degrees to the right. In fact it is so slow that is unworkable. I have an ATI 9800 Pro card and a new 8300 system (P4 2.6) which should be enough. Does anybody have a clue why is that slow?
  • I think the slowness is normal in Portrait mode, as each screen must be recalculated and redrawn in order to display in the vertical orientation.

Bob N.