Connecting new Dynex HDTV to Dell Dimension 8200 to use as monitor

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Connecting new Dynex HDTV to Dell Dimension 8200 to use as monitor

This question is not answered

I am able to connect this TV to my old Dimension 8200 using s video cable but want to use VGA. the connections are there, but I get a "signal not supported" message when I try and connect. I susspect that the video card is too old,

Any ideas?

All Replies
  • Welcome to the forums Yes

What video connections does your Dimension 8200 have (VGA/DVI/HDMI), and confirm what connections your new TV has?  I assume it'll have at least 2x HDMI ports?

If the Dimension 8200 has a HDMI port, you're laughing.  Just get a HDMI - HDMI cable of suitable length, then select HDMI/the TV as the output device in your graphics card's options/configuration screen.

The next best choice would obviously be DVI - since it's at least a digital signal. 

If your system has a DVI port, and your TV HDMI, then you need a DVI - HDMI cable of suitable length.

Finally there's VGA.  If your system only offers VGA, you'll need a VGA - HDMI cable of suitable length.

Make sure you're using the most up-to-date graphics drivers, and... as I've already mentioned... set the output to your TV.

Open the display display options, and click on the video card's TV (/Output Device) tab.

Click Settings --> Advanced --> TV (/Output Device), and choose 'Enable output to TV'.
    Different brands of video cards may have slightly different wording of course - i.e. 'Output Device/TV'.

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)