Monitor turns off, won't turn back on

Peripherals

Peripherals
Dell Monitors, Printers, Projectors, Hardware and Software discussion

Monitor turns off, won't turn back on

• I am having trouble with the LCD Monitor for my Dimension computer. A couple of weeks ago, I was using my computer and the monitor abruptly turned off. I tried to turn it back on by pressing the power button but nothing happened. My PC was still running fine (the music I was listening to was still playing) but no monitor. I tried unplugging it, changing power cords but nothing helped. A couple of days later, I tried to turn the monitor back on and it turned on fine. It worked for a couple of days and then the same thing happened. I have had another monitor (old CRT) hooked up to the PC that works fine, but I would like to have the LCD working. I just replaced the power supply on my PC, so I was suspecting that there might be a bad power supply in the monitor as well. I have no idea how to diagnose that problem or to replace a monitor power supply. Any ideas/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Same here. I think it's the monitor. I'm using a 17-inch Ultrasharp 1704FPT Digital Flat Panel on a Dimension 9100. Basic 128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE vid card.

The screen just turns black for no reason. The power button indicates the monitor is still powered. Any thoughts?
  • My system has the E172FPB flat panel monitor, and I have the same problem.  As of this morning  the display stopped working - I'd only get an image for a couple of seconds  during boot (the BIOS screen)  and then the monitor would blank.  The green light is on  and I have performed the monitor self test as discussed in the troubleshooting section.  The screen blank also occurred about 2 seconds into the self test as well (monitor powered on and not connected to the CPU).  I hooked up an old CRT monitor to the CPU  and that works fine.  I have also tried to access the monitor settings menu (silver button on monitor) to reset the monitor to factory settings  but I never see the settings menu because the screen blanks.  My guess is a bad monitor, but I hope I'm wrong.....
  • Actually, the little green light is off on my monitor (Dell 17-in. - not sure what model) when it turns off. Also, as I just found out, it turns back on by itself. The monitor turned itself on sometime this morning. When the screen goes black, it seems like there is no power to the monitor at all. Best of luck.
  • I just called the Dell support center, which was super helpful, and they're sending me a replacement monitor.
  • I did the same - turns out the monitor has a 3 year warranty. So I got my replacement as well. Yay Dell!