When will Windows XP be discontinued

Small and Medium Business - Guide to Growth

Small and Medium Business - Guide to Growth
Join us as we explore ways to grow your business with technology--brought to you by Dell and Microsoft

When will Windows XP be discontinued

• According to Microsoft they will stop offering XP Prossefional to OEM's on June 30 2008. Is this when Dell will stop offering XP on workstations also? We are trying to plan for future purchases and possible software incompatibilites.

THanks 

• Dell has not publicized a date.  XP continues to sell well and discontinuing it will cost a lot of sales, IMHO, for both Dell and Microsoft.  I'm betting they'll extend the date.  We'll see.  The headline on the cover of PC World Magazine this month is that XP outperforms Vista.  I couldn't agree more.
  • I see that M$ has now extended XPs life...does that mean that Dell will continue to sell it beyond June 2008 - any moderator care to comment?

Si. 

• Here is what I have found regarding the dates Dell will be discontinuing Windows XP:

Per the Microsoft®  Windows Life-Cycle policy, Direct OEM and Retail License Availability for Windows XP Professional will End-Of-Life (EOL) on June 30, 2008.

Dell is offering customers the option to purchase Windows Vista or Windows Vista Business with a downgrade service to Windows XP Professional.  See www.dell.com/dellhasanswers  for more details.

To meet Microsoft’s June 30 last-day-to-ship OEM Windows XP deadline, June 18 is the last time to purchase a Dell laptop, desktop, or workstation with an OEM Windows XP license.

We are not allowed to ship any XP systems after June 30, which is why our cutoff date is June 18.  That being said, there are signs in the press that Microsoft might back off of this date. According to this article, Steve Ballmer is softening his stance a bit on the June 30 date: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/359541_msftmvp18.html 

Hope this clears up some of your questions.

• Thanks for that Robert.

If I read the dellhasanswers page correctly, from the 30th June onwards (but not before) you will offer downgrade rights to purchasers of the two 'BONUS' offerings, Vista Business or Ultimate and will even pre-install XP Pro...and supply Vista on DVD too?

At a premium or at no extra cost?

Thanks,

Simon. 

• The "rumor" I have heard is that Dell will continue to offer the Vista downgrade option (with XP installed) through the entire year of 2009.
  • Devros,

It depends on the model of computer.

For Vostro it's an extra charge.

For Latitude/Optiplex/Precision it is free.

• I'm considering  the purchase of a Vostro, so better make my mind up then before 18/6/08.

Incidentally, what is the proposed fee?

Simon. 

• It’s actually live on Vostro configuration page right now.  For the downgrade service with Vista Business it is $50 more. For downgrade service with Vista Ultimate, it is $20 more.

• Ah, yes if you live in the States.

Not for those of us in the UK.

Si. 

•  

Dell just received confirmation that the Downgrade Rights program will be extended through December 31st, 2010

•  This is an extension from the original program ending date of Jan, 31st 2009. 
    What are Downgrade Rights?
    • Customer will receive a Windows Vista and XP Pro operating system disk and Windows Vista COA and Logo Labels
    • Customer will receive a Windows Vista and Windows XP Resource CD/DVD
    • Customer will have Windows XP Pro factory installed on their system
    • At the time of purchase, customer will only be able to order Windows XP-compatible software and peripherals
    • For CFI customers, it will be business as usual as these customers currently have the option of downgrading their OS
    • For all customers, Downgrade rights provide the customer with XP and Vista tech support

• Small Biz Folks,

There has been some incorrect information circulating around the internet regarding Dell and the downgrade program.  The information I've posted in this thread are the "official" comments passed on to me through our relationship with Microsoft. 

Also, we are staying in close touch with Microsoft regarding the dates bounding this program and currently expect to offer the downgrade rights program for as long as Microsoft supports it.

Thanks