The Collaborative OrganizationToday’s workers expect to have social and collaborative platforms to communicate, share information and drive ideas in the enterprise much the same way they do in their personal lives via platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and many others.  In fact, the new workforce has no concept at all around what it is like to NOT have these tools available.  This is the challenge many organizations are faced with today.  How can they adapt to the changes in technology and behavior which are making their way into the enterprise?

In addition, today we see many collaboration problems such as:

• Hard to find subject matter experts and information
          • Too much time spent in e-mail
          • Frequent duplication of work
          • Inability to communicate and collaborate across boundaries (geographic or departmental)
          • Leveraging the collective intelligence of the workforce to identify opportunities and solve problems
          • Aligning departments and the organization
          • Executive insight into the ground-level of how the organization operates
          • Improving employee engagement

In an interview with us, Jacob shared some insight with us:

To address these issues (among several others) I wrote The Collaborative Organization, which is the first comprehensive strategy guide to emergent collaboration in the workplace.  The books covers everything from how to identify and develop use cases to internal marketing to employee adoption strategy to vendor evaluation frameworks to looking at measures of success.  It also features guest contributions from many practitioners at some of the world’s leading companies as well as data from a research project which Chess Media Group conducted towards the end of last year. 

The book was written because I found that a lot of the conversations about collaboration were educational and informative, but weren’t tackling many of the issues that I saw business leaders wanted addressed.  I would constantly get asked by clients and prospects where they could go to find various in-depth articles around a particular collaboration topic which they could share or discuss internally and I didn’t have anything to share with these people.  There needed to be some sort of a comprehensive resource that focused on how collaboration in the workplace could address the tough, real questions that people are faced with and that is a resource I set out to create.

Finally, I have always thought collaboration could not only positively impact the enterprise, but also positively impact the quality of life of employees when at work and at home.  I hear a lot of anecdotal stories around this and am told that some companies and research firms are working on collecting some hard data around this.  I believe that collaboration can help make employees more passionate about the work they do and the company they work for. It makes it easier and more efficient for employees to get work done so that they don’t feel such high levels of stress and it should overall make them happier and more engaged.  This can translate into less stress at home, more time to spend with family, and a greater sense of fulfillment which so many of us strive to feel.Jacob Morgan

I’ve been fortunate to work with and build relationships with some amazing companies and people and I’m very excited and passionate about the collaboration space.  Here’s what some of these people have said about the book:

Vivek Kundra, Former Chief Information Officer of the USA

In today's global economy, collaboration is key to building a connected, engaged, and sustainable organization. Jacob's book guides leaders on how to develop strategies to build this type of 'Collaborative Organization.'

Ed Coleman, Chairman and CEO of Unisys Corporation

Jacob Morgan's book is a valuable strategic guide for organizations looking to tap the power of new social and collaborative tools to create more connected, engaged, and successful organizations.

Karen Quintos, Senior VP and Chief Marketing Officer of Dell

Jacob's book gets to the very real issues that companies of all sizes, in all industries continue to face. Social and collaborative tools are certainly part of the picture, but Jacob's book goes beyond this to look at true enterprise-wide collaboration that is inextricably tied to business strategy.

Jacob Morgan is the principal of Chess Media Group, a management consulting and strategic advisory firm on collaboration.  Jacob is also the author of the Amazon best-selling book, The Collaborative Organization, which is the first comprehensive strategy guide to emergent workplace collaboration.  The book has been endorsed by leaders such as the former CIO of the USA, CIO of ManpowerGroup, CEO of Unisys, CMO of SAP, CMO of Dell, and dozens of others.  He blogs at Social Business Advisor can be found on Twitter @JacobM.