Can u update Bios with wrong OS - New to the Community Forum - New to the Community - Dell Community

Can u update Bios with wrong OS

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Can u update Bios with wrong OS

This question has been answered by natakuc4

I've got a Dell Inspiration 531s whose service tag shows a Vista OS. But I upgraded to Windows 7 recently, and in chasing gremlins found to updates to my bios that were never done. However when I try to correct the OS on my service tag info, it only gives me an option of Vista or XP. There is a tab to manually choose the OS but it goes to a blank page. I doubt I can do the update when it's looking at the wrong OS, but I'm not sure. Any help would be terrific, thanks

Verified Answer
  • The BIOS update listed under Windows Vista and Windows XP are the same. It will also run in Windows 7. Ensure all programs are closed and that you right click the BIOS update and select run as administrator.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

All Replies
  • The BIOS update listed under Windows Vista and Windows XP are the same. It will also run in Windows 7. Ensure all programs are closed and that you right click the BIOS update and select run as administrator.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.