(Redirected) Inspiron 15 with windows 10 problem - New to the Community Forum - New to the Community - Dell Community

(Redirected) Inspiron 15 with windows 10 problem

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

(Redirected) Inspiron 15 with windows 10 problem

This question has been answered by sugarbear18

Hi

in 2015 I bought an Inspiron 15 7000 series laptop. It originally had windows 8. In June or July of 2016, I took advantage of Microsoft's offer to upgrade it to a Windows 10 via online. I got it to work fined. In October of 2016, I suddenly got a blue screen with the message 'no boot device found'. I used the diagnostics tool but nothing resolved the problem. I can go to the command prompt and I can see an x:\ and I am able to display the contents of the drive. 

I bought a usb-based windows 10 in order to just start from scratch but during installation, I end up with a display saying  no drive detected. 

I now want to do a low-level format, that is, erase everything in the drive, treat it like a 'virgin' drive and then install my usb-based windows 10 software.

When I am in command prompt, I am unable to execute the format command because the system gives me a 'drive is protected' msg.

What tool could you recommend I use to low-level the hard drive so I can install my usb-based windows 10?

Thanks.

vwmdabbler

Verified Answer
All Replies