Vostro 3500 restart automatically after Shutdown - New to the Community Forum - New to the Community - Dell Community

Vostro 3500 restart automatically after Shutdown

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Vostro 3500 restart automatically after Shutdown

This question has been answered by Dell-Rajesh R

I have a Dell Vostro 3500 that restarts automatically once I shutdown my laptop and remove the power cord.  I have also observed that Scroll Lock light in "Keyboard and Device status lights" remains on. The only workaround I have is to force shutdown as it restarts, and then remove the batter each time.

Wondering if someone in the forum also seen this kind of issue and have a solution.

There is no LED error codes for this combination in the Vostro Service Manual.  I have also turned of "Restart automatically on error" in Control Panel.

Verified Answer
  • Hi riteshgarg,

I recommend running diagnostics on the computer (restart the computer by holding the FN and the power button). Let the diagnostics complete and note down if you find any error message.

Also, check the status in safe mode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select safe mode with networking. Check if the same issue persists.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    If a post answers your question, please click "
    Yes".

All Replies
  • Hi riteshgarg,

I recommend running diagnostics on the computer (restart the computer by holding the FN and the power button). Let the diagnostics complete and note down if you find any error message.

Also, check the status in safe mode with networking. Restart the computer and tap F8 on Dell logo and select safe mode with networking. Check if the same issue persists.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
    Yes".

• Thank you Rajesh for your quick response!  Truly grateful for your suggestions.

Running diagnostics ran successful until memory check, but then failed on checking the partition with the error:

Loader damaged. Use Rescue disk: Restore TrueCrypt Boot Loader

I have TrueCrypt installed as part of corporate policies.  Would you recommend restoring it as suggested in the error.  I will do it over the weekend.

My laptop successfully starts in safe mode, but on shutdown still the Scroll Lock light was on.

Thanks Rajesh!

• Hi riteshgarg,

I recommend you to disconnect the adapter and remove the battery, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power.

Check if the issue persists.

Also, try doing a system restore on the computer. System Restore helps you restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. It's a way to undo system changes to your computer without affecting your personal files, such as e‑mail, documents, or photos.

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

• Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.     

For more information, refer the link and video.

After system restore, restart the computer to check if the issue is fixed.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
    Rajesh R
    #iworkfordell
    Yes".

• Hi,

I tried draining the flea power after removing battery and power, but it did not seem to work. 

Putting back the battery and closing the laptop lid shows the power light on.  And opening the lid turns-on the laptop.

I did not have enough restore points to take back the system all the way back 30 days, cause this issue is more than 30 days.

Any other suggestions?  I do not want to do factory restore as I would loose my MS Office and other software installations.

Thanks,

Ritesh

• I am still having this issue but have few observations to share.  Hope someone can help.

1. When I shutdown my laptop the scroll lock light remains on.  If I then remove the power cord and leave the battery in and close the lid.  The batter light turns on now and soon I open the lid, the laptop turns on.

2. Now when I shutdown my laptop (the scroll lock light remains on).  I then remove the battery first and the power cord next.  So no power going to my laptop, obviously the scroll lock light is now off.  Now I reconnect the battery (and no power cord).  The laptop does not restart on opening / closing the lid.  Funny thing is even if I press the on button the laptop would not start.  So now to turn on my laptop back, I have to connect both battery and power cord (watch for scroll lock light as it now turns on) and then press the on button to start my laptop.