Dell Inspiron 560 - Restart Button?

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Dell Inspiron 560 - Restart Button?

• Hello;

I just recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 560. On a few occasions I was unable to access my start menu and needed to restart my system. There isn't a restart button on the PC case and I had to do Hard Shutdown with power button which I know is bad for your system. So is there another way I could restart when I'm unable to access my start menu?

ThanksBig Smile

• Most new PC's do not have the old "reset" button, that is mostly a "thing of the past".

If you are getting hung up to the point you have to reset there are other problems.  Windows 7 (and Vista and XP) were designed that if an application hangs up it doesn't affect the rest of the PC and you can just shut down the failed application and go on.  When you get a program that is hung up and not responding, hold the CTRL and ALT keys down and presss the Delete key.  When the menu comes up, click on Start Task Manager and then click the Applications Tab (if that window does not come up) and highlight the Task (program) you want to close and then click the End Task Button.

If it's always the same program, it may be the program is not Windows 7 compatible and in that case you can try running it in Compatibility mode for either XP or Vista. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Hi fireberd:

Thanks for your reply. I should of wrote this in my first post, the situation I was in I wasn't in Windows but I was stuck in the Sleep mode and my system wouldn't wakeup,  my only option was to do a "Hard Shutdown". I have since stop using the Sleep mode.

So basically if I should run into another situation of being stuck outside of Windows, a Hard Shutdown is the only way out?

Thanks 

• Sleep mode can be an issue on some PC's depending on how it's configured.  What I have on my own PC's and what I recommend to my clients is to only "power off" the monitor at whatever time interval you want, nothing else.   My Power Plan is "Balanced" and as noted the monitor  (Turn Off Display) is set (1 hour in my case) and Put the Computer to Sleep is set to Never.

You should never be in a situation "outside of Windows", if you are not using Sleep Mode, so there shouldn't be any need to force a power off.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• fireberd:

OK, thanks for your input, it's very much appreciated.