Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figure I'll go for it and if its moved so be it...

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 and I'm looking to connect it to my tv to watch films etc through my laptop. The tv is a modern one and has many different capabilities. It has HDMI, RGB, Scart and VGA ports so I'm not stuck for options. The laptop itself only seems to have a VGA port. I went and bought a VGA to RGB cable (connects to the tv like a scart but with a red, green and blue connectors). This seemed to be the best option available to me.

However when I connected it in the signal seemed to have many problems. The laptop was able to tell me I was connected to a new monitor and advised me on the recommended screen resolution but the picture just didn't work at all. One of three things happened:

1) Nothing, no picture or change appearred on the AV channel

2) The tv screen started showing the top of the screen all the way down (so the top of the screen would be black and say AV3 but would repeat all the way down), sometimes moving down in a scrolling motion.

3) The picture flickers on and off over and over again, its extremely skewed and extremely purple/pink but I was able to make out that it was what was on the laptop screen at the time.

I have no idea if the problem is with the cable, the laptop or the tv. I have previously connected laptops to my tv with a different type of adapter so i know the tv works.

Could it be that I need to change the settings on my laptop?

Or do I need a new cable? I'd prefer to use this one since I've already bought it. However if its broken I could bring it back.

Or is it something else?

Any help would be hugely appreciated as I'm hoping to get this up and running asap. If any more information is needed fire away and I will answer