Will a 32 bit OS work in a 64 bit Computer?

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Will a 32 bit OS work in a 64 bit Computer?

• I just ordered a 537ST -n with ubuntu. I've decided that I want to dual boot with Windows Vista.

What I need to know is whether The system is a 64 bit or a 32 bit machine.

The processor is a intel core Duo E7500 (2.93GHz, 3MBb). 

I can wipe the HD , install Vista and then burn another Ubuntu install disk.

I already purchased a Vista home basic with sp1 on Amazon.( I assume it's 32 bit )

So two questions:

1) Is this system a 32 bit or 64bit?

2) If it is a 64 bit will a 32 bit OS Install and run without a lot of problems?

I can always buy a new Vista home basic with sp1-64 bit and put the 32 bit system on my Dell Latitude D820.   

Thank You -- LarryBig Smile

• Hi, Larry:

This machine can run either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Good luck with the new computer!

• Thanks osprey4,

Years ago I used to be very good with computers, not any more!

Thanks again -  Larry

• I have an XPS 8300 with a 64 bit  Windows 7 Ultimate installation. Can I install 32 bit instead? Any help would be awesome! Thanks in advanced.

Dana

• Hi Dana,

Yes, absolutely. You might want to visit the Microsoft site for details, but you should be able to install the 32-bit version of your operating system using the same license.

• Hi Dana

The XPS 8300 usually ships with 6 GB of RAM or more, if you install the 32 bit, the system will only be able to use 3-4 GB of RAM.

Also many of the drivers are 64 bit, some will work on the 32 bit OS also. Download the drivers and attempt to install them, if they fail the drivers are 32 bit only.

For the ones that are 64 bit only, the 32 bit drivers may be obtained from the Vostro 460.

Follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7 for best results. You can use a retail Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit media and phone activation alongside your 25 product key on your COA. To download the media, follow my wiki here.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.