Connecting 2nd monitor

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Connecting 2nd monitor

• Have installed new desktop with Acer AL1916W monitor at VGA point. Am running Vista and trying to instal 2nd monitor using USB2.0VGA (which worked successfully on old laptop) but cannot get a signal. Tower is recognising the USB2VGA device but I cannot get signal and in Appearance & Personalisation/display settings it only shows the one screen....HELP!

• Welcome to the forums Yes

What model desktop is it, and what OS are you using?

Whatever model system it is, I don't understand why you're having to use a USB 2.0 - VGA adapter?

Even laptops have been offered with at least one DVI port and one VGA port for years... and newer models have a HDMI port as well?

Most graphics cards have two DVI ports, and some also have a HDMI out.

Yet you're trying to use a USB 2.0 - VGA adapter, on a "new desktop" system Huh?

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

• Thanks for your reply. You've assumed I know what I'm doing! I'm using USB2VGA because that's what I was using on my laptop. I don't understand the alternatives that you tell me I have available on the new system (Inspiron 525 - OS Windows Vista)

can you explain in 'punters' terms?

• Winelines

can you explain in 'punters' terms?

Your User Manual should help identify/confirm the various ports it has?

But a quick Google of the names I used (DVI/HDMI), will provide images of what they look like, and possibly what the respective cable connections look like as well?

Indeed a quick Google for your specific model laptop 'Dell Inspiron 525', will probably turn up both reviews of the product, and all-round images of the laptop.

This is what a HDMI port looks like: 

And this image shows what a DVI port looks like: 

But what connections are available on the monitor too?  It obviously has VGA, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't also have a DVI port, +/or maybe a HDMI port?

Some newer/bettermonitors offer all three!

HDMI would be the preferred connection to use, since HDMI carries both digital video and digital audio signals.

DVI is the next best option, since it can at least carry digital video signals.

Once you've identified the available ports on both the laptop and the monitor, you can then determine your best connection option.

As I've said... HDMI - HDMI is the option of choice, so if both the laptop and the monitor have HDMI, then get yourself a HDMI - HDMI cable - of suitable length.

Don't be conned into buying an expensive one though!  Just get the cheapest HDMI - HDMI cable you can find, in the length you need (excess length is preferred, to allow room for 'play'/movement).

If neither the laptop nor the monitor have HDMI ports, your next best option is a DVI - DVI cable - again of suitable length.

If one or other has HDMI, then you could opt for a HDMI - DVI cable.

Once you confirm what connections each has, we can confirm what cable you need (if you still can't tell form the advice I've just provided).

I'll warrant you'll notice a substantial difference in picture quality via HDMI - or even DVI, compared to the VGA you're using just now Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)