Hijacked my home page

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Hijacked my home page

• It appears Dell or Microsoft has hijacked my home page.  I have IE8 and I cannot make a change to the home page.  I can change for a session, but when I shutdown and restart the home page is reset to "Dell by MSN".  I have reinstalled IE8 and did not fix.  I bought a register repair program, did not fix.  Finally i started using Google Chrome instead of MS IE.  However, there are web based applications that do not run on Chrome.  This is really aggravating and although I have been a Dell user for decades the next computer I buy will be an Apple.

• WC Dawson,

Start, control panel, internet options, security. Uncheck the box for protected mode, click apply, then change your home page, then go back and check the box.

Also, do you have any malware removal programs, like Spybot Search & Destroy or Dpyware Blaster, there are many more. Some of these programs lock the home page and will not allow it to be changed. Some virus programs also do not allow the home page to be changed unless the box is unchecked.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• Thanks.  I have XP and there is no box to uncheck on that page.  There is a level of protection and I reduced that to as low as it will go.  I changed the home page and it remained for one restart, then it reverted back to the "Dell" page.  I do not have any spyware installed, but do have some virus protection.  I lowered the proctection on this also, but to no avail????

Bill

• Bill,

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, updat it and do a quick scan. Remove selected and report back if it finds anything.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!