Restore to Factory Settings on Dimension 4500

New to the Community

New to the Community
Having trouble deciding where to post? Get tips and recommendations here.

Restore to Factory Settings on Dimension 4500

• I cannot find my original CDs for my Dell Dimension 4500 and I need to restore the system back to factory settings before I give the PC away.  Just got a new Dell 530.  What do I need to do? 

• With a PC that old, Dell will not replace lost CD's.  You will have to purchase an operating system CD and you can download whatever device drivers are needed from the Dell downloads for the 4500 HERE.

If you don't want to buy the pricey Windows XP, you can just reformat the hard drive (which deletes everything) and let whoever you are going to give it to buy Windows. 

The install sequence including reformatting the hard drive is (1) Install Windows (2) Install the Intel chipset drivers (3) Install device drivers such as sound, video, etc. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

• Too slow typing

Hernan.

Dim9200/XPS 410.C2D 2.40GHz.2GB RAM.XP Pro_86 SPk3.IE8 & FF28

Avast!Free 9. CIS 5.12(FW/D+). MBAM Premium. MCShield. WinPatrol +. WOT. OpenDNS. SAS(o/d)

"We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things..." Albert Einstein

"When you've excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth..." Sherlock Holmes.

• How do I reformat the hard drive....I found all my cd's including windows xp and dell drivers micscellanous.  What commands do I issue prior to system boot? Steps.

• whitmada

How do I reformat the hard drive...

What commands do I issue prior to system boot? Steps.

There are no "commands" required.  This is a Windows Xp installation - not DOS Big Smile

You just need to boot from the Windows XP CD, and follow the prompts, really.

But there's an excellent 'how to' - with screenshots of each step, for how to do a 'clean' install of XP, on Paul Thurrott's 'Supersite for Windows' website Wink

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
    17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
    4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
    DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
    640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
    8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
    Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    Integrated 2MP Webcam
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
    Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
    TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
    4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)